Skip to main content

Question about the serial number for an 810/812 sedan I might inherit

• pete kelly
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2023 20:19 #47761 by pete kelly
Post a few pics, maybe someone has seen it before.
Include 1 of the firewall.
Pete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• xct7933
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2023 17:09 #47759 by xct7933
Thanks, Terry.  I never saw another third location reference on any other websites, so I was starting to think there were only two locations.

I wish I knew the car's history & why the subframe is missing.  

Mike

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2023 08:35 #47754 by Terry Cockerell
The Serial No was only stamped in two places.
The tag on the RHS of the cowl is the first. On RHD cars the Serial No tag was on the LHS of the cowl.
The number is also on the RHS of the drive train frame, so if that is missing there is no way to determine what it was.
Regards,
Terry

T cockerell

• xct7933
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2023 08:17 #47753 by xct7933
Hi, I'm new to the forum & starting to learn more about the 810/812 Cords.  Lots of great info & knowledge on the forum.

My dad passed away last year, and his girlfriend might gift a few cars in his small collection to me.  One of them appears to be a Cord 810/812 4-door sedan.  The girlfriend & I know little about the collection or the history of this car.  There's almost nothing to the car....it's a rolling body & chassis with no interior, engine or transmission.  The original hood & front fenders are missing, and it has fiberglass reproductions.  It does have the original "coffin nose walls" with the metal tubing & what looks like the original steel wheels.  My wheelbase measurement came out to 125", so it should be a real Cord.  The back end of the car is flat or a "fastback," & not the bustleback....this would be the Westchester model?

The problem is the car is missing its serial number.  I saw the old ACD Forum posts about the firewall & rear passenger side subframe locations, but the plate on the firewall is missing, and there's no subframe..... just a rear axle & leaf springs.  My question is, is there a third serial number location on the car?  I know the Cord engines had a stamping, so that was technically the third location, but there's no engine.  I think I saw a reference on an antique car website to a stamped serial number behind the Cord's dashboard or gauges (maybe it said the "firewall framework?"), but I haven't been able to find that website since....and who knows if that info was correct.

We don't know when Dad bought the car or what his plans were.  I'm suspecting that Dad bought this as "parts" with no serial number....and if it didn't have the number, he probably never got a title.  It could've been somebody's unfinished project car that was left in some barn or field for decades before he got it. 

But if anyone can provide info about other possible serial number locations on the Cord sedan, it is appreciated.   The titles to all the cars are missing, and since Dad was extremely disorganized, good luck trying to find them.  The girlfriend is trying to get replacement titles for at least some of the cars, and if a serial number can be found anywhere else beside the firewall & subframe, that would be good to have for a new title.

Thanks,

Mike