Skip to main content

Clark Gable and his Cream Colored Duesenberg SJ

• AceCollins
  • Registered
More
30 Oct 2006 23:30 #5682 by AceCollins
Replied by AceCollins on topic Clark Gable and his Cream Colored Duesenberg SJ
Being somewhat of a Harlow historian, I have never found a record of her owning the car or any other Auburn or Cord. She certainly did not buy it for Paul Bern. Their tragicallly short marriage (July-September 1932) lasted only two months before he was either murdered by his former common law wife or he committed suicide (there is still debate on that). Some think he owned an L29, but there are no shots that I have seen of Jean with the car.

Jean loved cars, but owned and drove mainly Packards and Caddys. She also owned a 37 Dodge when she died. She had endorsement deal with the company. There are photos of Jean with a 32 boattail on this website, but the car was not owned by Harlow.

See CMHSDuesy above for more information on Paul Bern's (Jean's husband for two months) connection with ACD.

1934 Auburn 652Y Four-Door Sedan
1936 Cord 810 Westchester

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
30 Oct 2006 23:25 #5681 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic Well...
...beautiful it is, but it's not the "Harlow Speedster." That car--which was actually NEVER owned by the actress, although her husband, Paul Bern, did have an L-29 Phaeton among his effects at the time of his suicide--disappeared long ago.

However, the one at Al Wiseman's in Tarpon Springs IS a true-blue Walker-LaGrande Boattail and it is a sight to behold. :D

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• 34 riley
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
30 Oct 2006 23:19 #5680 by 34 riley
Is it not true that Jean Harlow bought her husband the Paris/New York L-29 boat tailed speedster??? I've seen this car as it is currently owned by a well known collector here in Tarpon Springs FL. I believe this car is shown in one of the major works on the ACD cars.

By the way, this car is the most beautiful L-29 I've ever seen.

• solidaxle
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
25 Oct 2006 22:16 #5650 by solidaxle
Replied by solidaxle on topic Clark Gable and his Cream Colored Duesenberg SJ
I see what you are saying. Yes, under the original disc covers were drop center wires, although these would not be visible with the discs installed. The current wires on the car are earlier and are not drop center. They are also chromed, I believe the original drop centers are painted ... at least the one under the spare disc is.

• West Peterson
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
25 Oct 2006 21:02 #5649 by West Peterson
Replied by West Peterson on topic Clark Gable and his Cream Colored Duesenberg SJ

solidaxle wrote:

West Peterson wrote:

solidaxle wrote: The car did not have wire wheels when Gable possessed it either!

I'll bet it did.

West,

The disc wheel cover that is currently on the SSJ's spare is what originally was on the car. Al has the remainder of the set but preferred wires to discs. He says the discs made the car look too "modern". The disc is on the spare because the wires on the car will not fit the spare tire carrier. They are too large of a size. Personally I like the discs better.

Karen,
The discs only cover the wires. From what you say, though, it sounds like Al has replaced the smaller-sized drop-center wire wheel rims and put on the earlier-version, larger-sized wire wheels (older-style split rims), but it has always had wire wheels on it.

• solidaxle
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
25 Oct 2006 20:52 #5648 by solidaxle

West Peterson wrote:

solidaxle wrote: The car did not have wire wheels when Gable possessed it either!

I'll bet it did.

West,

The disc wheel cover that is currently on the SSJ's spare is what originally was on the car. Al has the remainder of the set but preferred wires to discs. He says the discs made the car look too "modern". The disc is on the spare because the wires on the car will not fit the spare tire carrier. They are too large of a size. Personally I like the discs better.

• West Peterson
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
20 Oct 2006 11:44 #5617 by West Peterson
Replied by West Peterson on topic Clark Gable and his Cream Colored Duesenberg SJ
...and if you look closely, the wire wheel cover is still on the spare tire of the SSJ.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
19 Oct 2006 21:42 #5607 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic Clark Gable and his Cream Colored Duesenberg SJ
Ah, West, now I see what you mean.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

• West Peterson
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
19 Oct 2006 20:18 #5606 by West Peterson

CMHSDuesy wrote: I seem to recall seeing a photo of the car back in the 1940s in an old ACD NL and it had disc wheels at the time.

What you probably saw were the wire wheel covers as seen on
Clark Gables car at the top of this Post.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
19 Oct 2006 20:00 #5605 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic Clark Gable and his Cream Colored Duesenberg SJ
I seem to recall seeing a photo of the car back in the 1940s in an old ACD NL and it had disc wheels at the time.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

• West Peterson
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
19 Oct 2006 17:57 #5604 by West Peterson

I'll bet it did.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
30 Jun 2006 14:33 #5052 by Chris Summers
Yikes. Not exactly the first color that pops into your head when you think "sporty," is it? Although it would be interesting to see.

Also, Barbara Stanwyck owned a Cord 812 Supercharged Phaeton (still exists). Paul Whiteman, the famous bandleader, was a rabid ACD fan and had two Duesenbergs, at least one Cord, and I THINK an Auburn, too. (Both Duesies exist.) Comedian Ben Blue also had a Duesenberg. Frank Morgan (The Wizard of Oz) and Jimmy Cagney were both pictured with Duesies but there's some doubt as to whether they owned them or not.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

• solidaxle
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
30 Jun 2006 12:18 #5050 by solidaxle
Coffee brown.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
29 Jun 2006 22:48 #5049 by Chris Summers
What color scheme WAS the "Gable" SSJ originally?

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

• AceCollins
  • Registered
More
29 Jun 2006 22:41 #5048 by AceCollins
I knew that the Harlow rumor was just that. In her brief life she was far too busy making films to travel. She was a car lover though and owned several cars during her life. Except for a Packard which has been restored, I wonder what happen to the rest of her cars.

Thanks for the update Josh, let's keep things coming.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
29 Jun 2006 22:23 #5047 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Clark Gable and his Cream Colored Duesenberg SJ
You're right. Harlow never owned that Cord. After Paul Bern's (her husband) suicide, his effects included a "Cord touring car". That term was in vogue at the time, and they certainly would not have mistaken it for a speedster. The car is often pictured with "Harlow" in France, but that wasn't her --- in her brief 26 years she never left the US of A.

Johnny Weismuller (Tarzan) owned a Cord. Olson and Johnson had Auburns. The four Marx brothers each owned an L-29, and Al Jolson drove an 812. Sonja Henie had both an L-29 and an 810. Amelia Earhart's 810 is famous.

I'm sure others can add to this list.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• AceCollins
  • Registered
More
29 Jun 2006 22:02 #5046 by AceCollins

Josh Malks wrote: Important to say it again, so the history is set straight. Clark Gable NEVER owned that short-wheelbase roadster, often called "SSJ". He asked a dealer to lend it to him, to keep up with his rival Gary Cooper who actually did own the other one. After six months the dealer wanted it back. Gable refused, and the dealer had to have it repossessed.

I did not know that story. How interesting. Josh, can you give us a run down of which major stars owned ACD products? I know Dick Powell has a Cord 810, and most of us know about the Tom Mix Cord, but I have always heard that Jean Harlow didn't really own the missing Cord that is now known as the Harlow Cord. Thanks to your post I have found out Gable didn't own the SSJ, yet it is obvious he owned another Duesenberg. So who did drive ACD products during Hollywood's Art Deco Era?

• solidaxle
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
29 Jun 2006 20:37 #5045 by solidaxle
The car did not have wire wheels or this paint scheme when Gable possessed it either!

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
29 Jun 2006 20:23 #5044 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Clark Gable and his Cream Colored Duesenberg SJ
Important to say it again, so the history is set straight. Clark Gable NEVER owned that short-wheelbase roadster, often called "SSJ". He asked a dealer to lend it to him, to keep up with his rival Gary Cooper who actually did own the other one. After six months the dealer wanted it back. Gable refused, and the dealer had to have it repossessed.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• solidaxle
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
29 Jun 2006 13:04 #5043 by solidaxle
Replied by solidaxle on topic Here is his other one.

• 1930 Jordan
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
01 Feb 2006 09:21 #4308 by 1930 Jordan
Replied by 1930 Jordan on topic Clark Gable and his Cream Colored Duesenberg SJ
No wonder the women LOVE him look at the car's that he drove. What is the questions that a woman asks you on the first date. What do you do, what do you drive and so on. Well Clark had them going nuts after the first two questions and that was it. Actor, and I drive a DUESENBERG!! WOW only if I could have said that kind of thing to my wife when we dated.

1930 Jordan"G" line 90,1953 Plymouth,1951 Chrysler Saratoga,1975 Dart,1974 Schwinn Collgate,1978 Schwinn Continental,1971 Honda 500"4",1973 Honda 350"twin",1975 Honda 500"twin",1955 Norton,1988 Honda Shadow custom,05 crossfire roadster.

• Clipper965
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
17 Oct 2005 02:08 #3771 by Clipper965
These pictures are MGM publicity pictures.