• Tom_Parkinson
  • Tom_Parkinson's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
10 Jun 2013 17:37 #25372 by Tom_Parkinson
Tom_Parkinson created the topic: Ethanol makes my cars inoperable
Hi,

I have two roadworthy pre-WW2 cars-a 40 Lasalle and a 37 Buick. My Cord will be roadworthy within the year. Both active cars have become virtually inoperable due to fuel boiling in the fuel pump and/or carburetor. Apparently around here in SW Michigan and North Central Indiana, we can't get real gasoline--instead we get gasohol cut 10% with ethanol. I have insulated the exhaust manifolds, installed heat shields, insulated supply and delivery fuel lines, and turned the ambient air ice-blue with cussing. The Boil-o-hol keeps on boiling.

The gasohol has a significantly lower boing point than real gasoline, and therein lies the problem. So I have some questions:

1) Does anyone know of a source of ethanol-free gasoline in SW Michigan/North-Central Indiana?

2) Would using a premium grade of gasohol help with the boiling problem?

3) Does anyone know of an additive that will raise the boiling point of the gasohol to a level more like real gasoline?

This problem is putting my continuation in the old car hobby at risk. I want drivable cars, not flower planters. Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks,

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: http://mbcurl.me/YCSE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2013 18:36 #25373 by landmark
landmark replied the topic: Re: Ethanol makes my cars inoperable

Tom_Parkinson wrote: Hi,

I have two roadworthy pre-WW2 cars-a 40 Lasalle and a 37 Buick. My Cord will be roadworthy within the year. Both active cars have become virtually inoperable due to fuel boiling in the fuel pump and/or carburetor. Apparently around here in SW Michigan and North Central Indiana, we can't get real gasoline--instead we get gasohol cut 10% with ethanol. I have insulated the exhaust manifolds, installed heat shields, insulated supply and delivery fuel lines, and turned the ambient air ice-blue with cussing. The Boil-o-hol keeps on boiling.

The gasohol has a significantly lower boing point than real gasoline, and therein lies the problem. So I have some questions:

1) Does anyone know of a source of ethanol-free gasoline in SW Michigan/North-Central Indiana?

2) Would using a premium grade of gasohol help with the boiling problem?

3) Does anyone know of an additive that will raise the boiling point of the gasohol to a level more like real gasoline?

This problem is putting my continuation in the old car hobby at risk. I want drivable cars, not flower planters. Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks,

--Tom

Hello Tom,

have you insulated the carburetor (against the manifold/engineheat) itself too?
What will work is a plate of paper/phenolic sheets. In Germany the material is known as Pertinax another name is Paxoline.

Here is an Information Link in english language http://www.emsai.co.uk/pertinax-bakelit ... sheets.php

That (cut out) sheet will be mounted like the gasket, in addition to the gasket(s) between carb and intake-manifold. You can use a gasket as a template for to cut out the needed holes (Throat- and mounting-screw-holes).
Maybe, (because of the changed position/distance between carb and manifold/engine) the carburetor/throttle lever mechanism has to be adjusted.

Cheers

Matt

Was man besonders gerne tut,
ist selten ganz besonders gut

Wilhelm Busch

• auburnandyscar
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
11 Jun 2013 01:53 #25380 by auburnandyscar
auburnandyscar replied the topic:
I know we have this fuel available in the Auburn area.you may have to set up an account with them.(I get mine from a friend that has a tank at his farm)

[urlhttp://www.countrymark.com/countrymark/Fuels/gasoline/ethanol-free.aspx[/url]

Sorry couldn't get the clickable link to work

Check out my build at:
www.1932auburnsedan.com

"PARK IN THE PLAZA"

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
11 Jun 2013 02:59 #25382 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:
There's a County Mark station in Angola, IN, where we fueled the ACD Museum's 1935 Auburn up with ethanol-free gas last weekend. I've toured extensively in that car, and have never heard it run so well.

It's 91-octane and was $4.81 a gallon (compared to $4.25 for unleaded regular)...but what price functional car?

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Tom_Parkinson's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
11 Jun 2013 15:00 #25388 by Tom_Parkinson
Tom_Parkinson replied the topic:
Hi,

Can't find any ethanol-free gasoline near South Bend, IN,/Niles, MI area. The closest thing to it that I found is the Niles Marathon, where the owner told me 1) virtually all gasoline is spiked with [i:sibzi788]some[/i:sibzi788] ethanol, and 2) his Marathon gas has no more than 2% ethanol in it.

I guess I'll insulate, insulate, and insulate, maybe buy a premium grade, and see where that takes me.

I HAVE installed a thicker insulation gasket under the carburetor in the LaSalle, as was advised by Cadillac way back when (40's?).

We'll see how it goes.

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: http://mbcurl.me/YCSE

More
11 Jun 2013 15:39 #25389 by Justin Kerns
Justin Kerns replied the topic:
Hi Tom,

Have you tried this website? It maps ethanol free gas stations. Zoom in to your area and then click on one of the blue pins to see the details. Often times there may be only one grade that is ethanol free. In my quick look I saw a BP in South Bend that has 93 octane ethanol free. Might be worth checking out.

[url:1fkuifw0]http://pure-gas.org[/url:1fkuifw0]

Justin

Justin
1932 Auburn 12-160A Sedan

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds