Skip to main content

Showed our Westchester this weekend

• sunroofcord
  • Registered
More
27 Aug 2007 13:43 #7877 by sunroofcord
Replied by sunroofcord on topic Showed our Westchester this weekend
I too hate the question "What's it Worth"????

I love Jim's Answer but this one is GREAT too.

I came here to talk about old cars.

If you want to talk about money, go talk to your banker.

CORDially

Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Don C. Loux
  • Visitor
15 Aug 2007 06:06 #7737 by Don C. Loux
Replied by Don C. Loux on topic Showed our Westchester this weekend
Jim, that last comment made my day. I may be a Cord man, but that was a "Dusey"! Thanks also to Wes Trail for the "plug"! I had the privilege of riding with him last year in the parade in his dad's Cord replica. It was the first and last "kit" we produced. Only turnkeys now.

• Visitor
14 Aug 2007 01:03 #7729 by
The best answer I have for "what's it worth"...Whatever some fool is willing to pay for it!

The best car show story I have is a few years ago at Macungie I was standing near my Cord when two "older" ladies came walking by with their husbanda a few feet behind them. All of the sudden the one lady looked up and saw the Cord and blurted out "I made love in the back seat of a car just like that!" To which, one of the men quickly ressponded "NOT WITH ME YOU DIDN'T!" Needless to say she turned very red and picked up her pace very quickly.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
13 Aug 2007 23:55 #7728 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic fender Knockers
People knock on steel fenders too. I don't do that and regard it as discourteous, because people don't have the right to go knocking around on other peoples cars regardless what they are made of! I have had people ask if my L-29 Cord was a replicar too.
The other Question that bugs me is the "how much is it worth" question. The best answer I have heard is $40.00 a pound.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Wes Trail
  • Visitor
13 Aug 2007 21:27 #7727 by Wes Trail
Replied by Wes Trail on topic Showed our Westchester this weekend
My father and I take our 37 Cord replica and 35 Auburn Speedster replica to local shows here in central Indiana fairly regularly, or at least when we aren't out cruising. We get very similar responses about both cars.

I am curious about the Cord, as it seems many more people around here are familiar with that car over the Auburn (It (the Auburn) seems to get a lot of look at that Duesenberg for some reason!) It is also strange that people seem to think that the cars are of 50's vintage due to the 1952-2002 ACD club anniversary license plate.

It is really cool when you get to hear stories about the cars from the spectators. We have heard about a guy's father who worked on the Cord retractable headlight assembly, and how he used to talk about the cars when he came home from work. We also met a lady who used to date a guy who drove an Auburn Speedster back in the late 30's or 40's (she said she turned him down on account of him being a jerk, but she remembered the car when she saw ours.)

You will probably find that most car shows have a very courteous crowd and will rarely have an instance where you are disappointed (like finding someone inside or under your car!) ACD cars get all kinds of attention and almost everybody likes them, which is really cool.

I would like to find out how often someone "feels up" the fenders on original cars? I don't mind it so much, but I would rather someone ask, as I have no shame telling them about the car, but none the less get someone checking to see if it is fiberglass. It is also interesting to see how many people ask if the Auburn is a replica, but walk right past several fiberglass (or even steel, now) 32 Ford replicas (It is fairly apparent that most people do not know about the Cord replica, as there were only 10 made (Duloux, full-scale, and correct proportion).)

• Randy in Portland
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
13 Aug 2007 18:08 #7723 by Randy in Portland
Showed our Westchester this weekend was created by Randy in Portland
Never done it before. We took our 37 Westchester and 58 Corvette to the local show and shine on Saturday. It was a fun day. I was surprised at how many people were looking at the Cord. They ranged from the "what the heck is that" to the "I have owned five of them" crowd. Very nice and a very fun day.

I really need to get the operation of the car better and deal with some aesthetics issues. I really enjoy our Cord.

First Round, First Minute....Muhammad Ali