Skip to main content

seat belts

• Kevin
  • Visitor
08 Aug 2005 01:24 #3485 by Kevin
Replied by Kevin on topic seat belts
I agree with Bill. I have learned that it is my responsibility to make sure the "other guy" will not hit me. So many times I have observed people cheating the yellow light and entering the intersection well after my signal has turned green. Some intentionally, which speaks of that drivers lack of consideration for others, but more frightening, some oblivious to the fact. Either totally distracted on a cell phone, or just not paying attention to what they are doing.

Just friday, I was driving my 29 Chevrolet to work, came to a four way stop in a residential area where the posted speed limit is 25, I was stopped at the sign, and was just about to proceed through. At that point I observed a car to my left not slowing down for his stop sign. The teenage driver was doing closer the 35, blew through the stop sign, hitting his brakes half way through the intersection after he finally realized what he had done. (And a blast from my aaahhh-ooog-gaaa horn, I think that may have scared the bajeezus out of him.)

I have also observed that when we, as a driver of a collector car, are on the road, we must be even more cautious than those other drivers around us. I have had looky lou's, damn near run me or other people off the road straining to see the car.

We must also adjust for the limitations of our cars. My chevy has mechanical brakes and I have to sneak up on a stop sign. But when I drive the Duesenberg we are working on, I have learned that due to the weight of the vehicle, I have to do the same thing. I also allow plenty of room between me and cars in front.

For the past two and a half years, my son an I have been restoring two Duesenbergs, one is nearly completed, and we have taken it on a few test drives. Since hearing of the accident in Michigan, and the similar circumstances my son and I share with the Patton family, I have felt sickened by the loss of life. What a tragedy for all those involved, in what is unquestionably an accident that could, and should have been prevented.

We will never know if the use of seat belts would have minimized the loss of life. What we do know, is that the Volvo driver should have stopped! The Patton family were unfortunalty, helpless in this incedent, due to the other drivers negligence.

If we are to learn anything from this whole event, it is that we all have a responsibility when we are behind the wheel to concentrate on driving, period. And we have an obligation to teach that same responsibility to those within our sphere of influence.

May we never forget that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bill Hummel
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
06 Aug 2005 15:12 #3481 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Re: Safety equipment

balinwire wrote: If you want to drive safe car, go buy a Volvo, look at who survived.

I doubt it was because he was driving the Volvo. It's probably how the two cars hit. I suspect it wasn't just the collision that flipped the Duesenberg, but a combination of a hit and the Duesnberg swerving.

Just as a top-heavy SUV is easy to flip, it's possible the Duesenberg swerved to try to avoid the collision.

15 years ago, my whole family was in a Volvo wagon at an intersection in Dallas. I was in my car right behind them. The light turnd green, and for some reason my wife didn't immediately start to go. I was just about ready to tap my horn when some fool came flying through the intersection. He was in a pickup and was travelling so fast that I am sure it would have destroyed the Volvo and my family. I was so mad that I cut across some lanes and chased the other driver. I came up alongside him and seriously considered running him off the road into a ditch. He seemed completely oblivious! He didn't even realize he had run the red light. He had entered the intersection at least 2 seconds after the light had turned red.

From that day on, I NEVER enter an intersection when the light turns green until I look both ways.

• acdclubadmin
  • New Forum User
  • Registered
More
06 Aug 2005 15:02 #3480 by acdclubadmin
Replied by acdclubadmin on topic seat belts

Josh Malks wrote: I had planned to install them this winter, and still will. I plan to do a photostory, 'cause there's a right and wrong way to accomplish this.

Since the Webmaster will be driving with you in Moonshadow back to Indy after the Auburn Meet, I hoped that you will have seatbelts installed a little earlier.

At least in the back seat! Put big ones in too .... I'm packing an extra 25 this year.

Bill Hummel - Webmaster - ACD Club

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
06 Aug 2005 13:48 #3479 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic seat belts
"Drive defensively" should be even more of a watchword when you're driving your ACD car than in your modern vehicle.

My first four Cord Westchesters had lap belts, going back to the early 1950s before they were standard in Detroit iron. (In those early years all we had were surplus military belts.) Somehow Moonshadow has sneaked by 21 years and 61,000 miles of driving without them! I had planned to install them this winter, and still will. I plan to do a photostory, 'cause there's a right and wrong way to accomplish this.

I will never know (I hope) how effective they are. But like chicken soup, "can't hurt". And maybe they will convince my kids to let my grandkids ride with me!

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• balinwire
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
06 Aug 2005 01:27 #3474 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic Safety equipment
I agree completely, this tragedy has been on my conscience from the minute I read about it here. A single second later or one second earlier and the collision would have been avoided.

What are the odds? It made me remember the close calls I have had. Riding in any auto is dangerous business. I was raised in the city and called it ?Drive like you?re in Hollywood?. A green light doesn?t mean anything. LOOK both ways and proceed slowly.

The vintage cars are a wonderful legend our predecessors have left. I would like to continue driving them. By adding four point harnesses, helmets, and roll bars, it really won?t help in the thousands of safe miles driven.

This horrendous destruction could lead to government legislation affecting the old car hobby. Possibly raising insurance premiums. This was not the act of the innocent family out on an outing, but an irresponsible act on behalf on a negligent motorist.

If you want to drive safe car, go buy a Volvo, look at who survived.

• K Clark
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
05 Aug 2005 11:43 #3469 by K Clark
seat belts was created by K Clark
Seat belts is not what killed this family, nor was it the lack of them, it is very possible that if they were all belted in they would all be dead. This just goes to say that you have to pay very close attention at all intersections because you cannot trust the driver of the other car. This other driver obviously was not paying attention to the road. either the modern cell phone or CD cranking.