• silverghost
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
30 Nov 2011 19:13 #21513 by silverghost
silverghost replied the topic:
Chris~
Thank's for the quick reply~~~
Great for you to clear that question up.
The two autos do look very similar.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Joel
  • Joel's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
30 Nov 2011 19:22 #21514 by Joel
Joel replied the topic:
Brad, an easy way to ID the former Eldon Eppy J345 is by the one peice stainless steel exhaust manifold. J345 is so spectacular, I love that car. In 2006 I had the pleasure of visiting the home of the current owner, John Tritschuh, and getting a very good look at the car, and also visiting Eldons home where he showed me his current projects and and told me all about J345. Both of these fellows are first class guys!

Joel Nystrom
1929 Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Coupe

• silverghost
More
30 Nov 2011 20:00 #21515 by silverghost
Joel~
That's the Model "J" Murphy I was thinking about~
Thank's for the two great photos of J-345 .
This car is indeed spectacular ; and on my all time top-10 lifetime Classic auto want list.

The very first Hershey auction I spoke about above in the Giant Center happened only weeks after the infamous September 11th New York Terrorist attack.
Sadly because of this tragic American event many autos that Don & Riche had assembled for this auction sold for super-low bargan basement prices.
Dad & I were like "kids in a candy store" at that auction with so many great full Classics.
We were also trying to buy the Rolls ~Royce Phantom II Henley roadster Don had there.
I remember building a plastic Monagram model of that very car as a young child. I still have that very same model.
The first Hershey auction was sadly a real blood-bath for Don & Richie.
I remember also my late father & I seeing, & speaking to, Randy Ema at the auction's preview about this super model "J" we were interested in bidding on.
There were two great model"J" s at this auction.

Thank's Guys~

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

More
30 Nov 2011 23:44 #21516 by landmark
landmark replied the topic:

silverghost wrote: Joel~
That's the Model "J" Murphy I was thinking about~
Thank's for the two great photos of J-345 .
This car is indeed spectacular ; and on my all time top-10 lifetime Classic auto want list.

The very first Hershey auction I spoke about above in the Giant Center happened only weeks after the infamous September 11th New York Terrorist attack.
Sadly because of this tragic American event many autos that Don & Riche had assembled for this auction sold for super-low bargan basement prices.
Dad & I were like "kids in a candy store" at that auction with so many great full Classics.
We were also trying to buy the Rolls ~Royce Phantom II Henley roadster Don had there.
I remember building a plastic Monagram model of that very car as a young child. I still have that very same model.
The first Hershey auction was sadly a real blood-bath for Don & Richie.
I remember also my late father & I seeing, & speaking to, Randy Ema at the auction's preview about this super model "J" we were interested in bidding on.
There were two great model"J" s at this auction.

Thank's Guys~

Hello Silverghost,

do you remember at what price the car was sold in 2001?

Matt

Was man besonders gerne tut,
ist selten ganz besonders gut

Wilhelm Busch

• silverghost
More
01 Dec 2011 02:26 #21519 by silverghost
Matt~
I believe my late Father has the old 2001 Don Williams/Blackhawk/Hershey Auction catalog around here somewhere in his office with most of the eventual selling prices less buyer's premiums .
I will look for it tomorrow for you.

Off the top of my head I cannot remember what those Duesenberg "J" s Don & Richie offered at this auction eventually sold for.
They were indeed rather inexpensive compared to prices attained for Model "J"s in the last year, or so.

I wish again that I had a time machine to be able to go back ten years and bid on that red Murphy "J" Duesey, & R~R Henley roadster .

More
01 Dec 2011 16:56 #21524 by alsancle
alsancle replied the topic:
Hey Guys,

I think you are thinking of 2002 and not 2001 The first auction in 2001 had many great cars selling for bargain prices but the Duesenberg you are talking about was either 2002 or 2003. It sold for around 950k I believe.

The only Duesenberg in 2001 was the mis-mash town car who's J number I forget. The 35 Auburn Speedster sold for 120k. I met the buyer at a show a few years ago and he told me how he had never planned on bidding until he saw the prices. He ended up trading it for a Gullwing which looks to be an astute move. The Murphy bodied P1 went for about 50k and was an insane bargain. If you look closely at my avatar you may recognize one of the cars sold in 2001. I also was not planning on buying anything.

The Henley went to Ron Meyers so you can imagine it was sold at wholesale.

A.J.

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds