New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

Duesenberg Auction watching/ predictions

More
14 Dec 2011 14:21 #21624 by landmark
Replied by landmark on topic Duesenberg Auction watching/ predictions

Chris Summers wrote: The problem is that these cars risk being overshadowed by the once-in-a-lifetime sales of a lot of other great iron at about the same time - a Pierce Silver Arrow at B-J, the Moretti Packards at Gooding, and...well, everything in the Milhous collection. If you are a collector of major 1930s iron - what Bob Roller describes as "everything worth being caught dead in" - and not totally ACD faithful, there's a lot of opportunities not to be missed.

RM is pushing the Milhouses' J-208 / 2223 as the Dolores Del Rio Car. I believe it was actually owned at one time by her husband, Cedric Gibbons, the award-winning stage designer who created the Oscar statuette, and I've never seen anything identifying him as the original owner or any indication that he owned it very long.

Hello Chris,

I expect that there will be some more "one-in-a-lifetime-sales" coming up in the nearer future...

According to an article (Taking the hig road) by Dwight Schooling at "Automobile Quarterly" Volume 30 Number 4 (Summer 1992) the car (J-208) was, as you mentioned, owned by Cedric Gibbons, his wife Dolores del Rio owned a Muphy Town car (J-393?).

Cheers

Matt

Was man besonders gerne tut,
ist selten ganz besonders gut

Wilhelm Busch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• silverghost
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
14 Dec 2011 17:20 #21626 by silverghost
Replied by silverghost on topic Duesenberg Auction watching/ predictions
I don't think the B-J Auction will be setting any new records here selling full Classics.
Decades ago B-J started their auction business selling Full Classics & Real Antiques.
In my opinion B-J is NOT the auction with which you want to consign your full Classic .
They are now basically a musclecar & hotrod/streetrod/restomod auction for what I call the more money that brains crowd.
Classics consigned at B-J usually sell for very little money.
Classic & Antique/Brass Era buyers usually don't attend B-J in any large numbers; if at all.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

More
14 Dec 2011 17:34 #21627 by Steve Derus
Replied by Steve Derus on topic Duesenberg Auction watching/ predictions
The Duesenberg Murphy town car consigned to BJ appears to have a reserve.

• silverghost
More
14 Dec 2011 18:04 #21628 by silverghost
Replied by silverghost on topic Duesenberg Auction watching/ predictions

Steve Derus wrote: The Duesenberg Murphy town car consigned to BJ appears to have a reserve.

If it car does indeed have a reserve ~~~That would be quite unusual for the B-J auction as for the last half dozen years, or so, ALL cars had to be consigned at B-J Scottsdale with NO reserve~~~or B-J would NOT accept the consignment.
With this No reserve policy B-J always wins as ALL cars sell. ~~~ While seller/consigners often loose their shirt on many of the B-J auction no reserve sales.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

More
14 Dec 2011 20:59 #21629 by Steve Derus
Replied by Steve Derus on topic Duesenberg Auction watching/ predictions
I received the BJ brochure in the mail. For the Duesenberg and a few other "high dollar" cars it does not state "no reserve" in the description, while all the other cars in the brochure have a notation "no reserve".

I agree that BJ has had a no reserve auction policy for a few years but it seems they are now making some exceptions.

Here's a link to the online description of the Duesenberg, note in the column marked "SALE TYPE" that it says "reserve".

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/applicat ... f22%2f2012

There's an Isotta that has a reserve also, and I think a few others.

Steve

More
24 Dec 2011 15:53 #21726 by landmark
Replied by landmark on topic Duesenberg Auction watching/ predictions

landmark wrote:
Hello,

and one more, at the RM "Milhous-Collection" auction in Florida in febuary

http://www.rmauctions.com/CarDetails.cf ... CarID=r111

B.t.w. (according to the pictures) a nice looking car.

Matt

Hello,

one more Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Sedan is for sale in January @Bonhams auction.

http://www.bonhams.com/usa/auction/19680/lot/334/

Matt

Was man besonders gerne tut,
ist selten ganz besonders gut

Wilhelm Busch

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds