Skip to main content

Front brake housing cracked

• rickekd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
20 Jan 2022 15:03 #44689 by rickekd
Replied by rickekd on topic Front brake housing cracked
Mike,
Thanks for the reply. I found a used left one on Ebay shortly after I wrote this and it had been wielded up. So I suspicioned it was do able. However it is nice to confirm though someone at the club. I have seen a couple of things on Ebay that were not the best repair being pawned off as Ok.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
20 Jan 2022 05:09 #44688 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Front brake housing cracked
These are quite often cracked on the bottom side. They are aluminum so can be welded.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• rickekd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
18 Jan 2022 15:53 #44686 by rickekd
Front brake housing cracked was created by rickekd
Hi All,
I got a chance to work on my car last week and removed the radiator for cleaning. In the process of removing everything I noticed that the right front break housing was cracked and kind of pieced back together with iron strapping and bolts. I would say looking at the radiator shell on the bottom and the fact that I have one brake housing with vent holes and one without that there had been a little incident sometime in the past that damaged the front end.

So the question I have is the brake housing something I can Tig wield or is it pot metal and I will need to have a new one cast. Looking for some impute. I will get better pictures of the cracked part later this week but on my first inspection it looks like the crack is just in the cover not in the part that holds the shoe. I did include a picture of the part I am looking at just incase I have called it the wrong thing.
Kory
Attachments: