Skip to main content

eBay Phaeton?

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
09 Jun 2020 01:41 #40327 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic eBay Phaeton?
When I bought my Cord I asked the seller if it was a good driver. The reply was "Yes." It kind of was but only for short trips. Twice around the block and it was boiling and I didn't get it into top gear for another 2 1/2 years. I just had to face up to a steep learning curve. I made contact with some amazing people along the way including Henry Portz and Tom Georgeson. With a Cord I think you do have to be pretty dedicated.

T cockerell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
08 Jun 2020 22:17 - 08 Jun 2020 22:19 #40321 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic eBay Phaeton?
When we have the Auburn out, there is always conversations about Cords. Dad generally asks three questions: 1. Are you an Engineer ? If the answer is NO, he then asks 2. Are really handy ? And, if the answer is still NO, he then asks: 3. Do you have a lot of disposable income ? Finally, if the answer again is NO, then he strongly suggests you probably should not get a Cord as it will disappoint you as a car. He does tell the people who never drive cars to do whatever they want, but that they risk stagnation to depreciation of their investment if they do not keep up with the maintenance.

JMM
Last edit: 08 Jun 2020 22:19 by johnmereness.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
08 Jun 2020 22:07 - 08 Jun 2020 22:12 #40320 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic eBay Phaeton?

mikespeed35 wrote: After reading the description of how it drives, it reminded me of a car I was once looking at with a similar description. After asking the dealer salesman question about the car I ask them how many miles they had driven the car and they said two!
CORDiallyMike

Mike, I think what your describe is pretty common and unfortunately most people expect drive-ability such as what you have in your cars and rarely ever find such drive-ability. Our Auburn has been gone through with the same care (or similar care) as your L-29 or Boattail, but as you know you also have to "stay on them" as issues do arise. In the current car I am doing, it does come up all the time that people expect it to run without issue first time out of the gate - my opinion is that will take a really good long time to get it sorted out. The 1935 Auburn Sedan sat for 15 or so years and it did not take much to get it going (brakes, water pump, gasoline tank repair, and ...), but 15 years prior it had been regularly toured with and more than just locally driven. I guess my point is that with rare occasion regarding any purchase I make, that I pretty much factor in that I could basically be re-restoring a drive-train (in addition to fixing countless pesky other issues).

JMM
Last edit: 08 Jun 2020 22:12 by johnmereness.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
08 Jun 2020 05:31 #40317 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic eBay Phaeton?
After reading the description of how it drives, it reminded me of a car I was once looking at with a similar description. After asking the dealer salesman question about the car I ask them how many miles they had driven the car and they said two!
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
07 Jun 2020 22:58 #40316 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic eBay Phaeton?
Hi Joe, it certainly is a lot cheaper than other Cord phaetons that are currently for sale. The bottoms of the doors don't line up with the rocker panels. Why the firewall has been paint black is anybody's guess. The clutch push rod has been replaced with a piece of flat bar and worked around the exhaust pipe. There are a number of things that need to be fixed up but it seems to be good value for the price.
As a comparison, importing a Cord like this into Australia would have a delivery price tag of close to $200,000 Aust

T cockerell

• Joe Holderman
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
07 Jun 2020 15:32 - 07 Jun 2020 15:34 #40314 by Joe Holderman
eBay Phaeton? was created by Joe Holderman
Seems like a cheaper price...I notice some paintwork issues in the pics. It has a back seat so...
eBay Link to Cord Phaeton here

Future Cord owner.

Messenger Link: m.me/hotrodjoe
Last edit: 07 Jun 2020 15:34 by Joe Holderman.