New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

Radiator Cleaning

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
04 Mar 2020 17:57 #39643 by 1748 S
Radiator Cleaning was created by 1748 S
I have two original honeycone core radiators. I believe they are both Modine. Tomorrow I will be having one of them cleaned out. If the shop does a good job I will have them do my other radiator too. Then take one of the ready to install radiators to the west coast meet in Cambria Ca for the swap meet. I will be bringing a complete set of ready to install tail light buckets, lens, retainer ring and body mounting gaskets..... Already have my reservations there... This shop has done Duesenbergs and many other car radiators so I know they do fine work. They actually cleaned out my gas tank of the 1/4 inch of crud in the bottom of that. Some may recall my effort to make the tank safe for me to remove the mess of soldiering the fill neck flange with the sheet metal screws still in the flange.. I used dry ice and water to make a carbon dioxide blanket in the tank. No explosions either... Anyway things continue to move in the right direction here. I'm getting all the small stuff done. Then going to tackle the big stuff. The engine rebuild and body work. Am not sure I have the still level to do quality body work... But will try just the same......

Gary Parsons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2020 21:54 #39644 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Radiator Cleaning
I wish you luck with the radiator cores. If they have good water flow, you probably will be OK. One of the problems with a Cord honeycone radiator core is that they can’t be “Rodded out” if they have restricted flow.
In the past I’ve had a company in Great Britain make brand new honeycone radiator core but it was very expensive (approx. $2400. with shipping). then you still had to solder the top and bottom tanks. I’ve heard Maine radiator also can make new honeycone cores.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

More
05 Mar 2020 18:33 #39647 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Radiator Cleaning
I have used Brassworks www.thebrassworks.net/ and they have a core that is similar, but to my knowledge you still need to go to England for proper Auburn and Cord core.

JMM

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
05 Mar 2020 23:30 #39652 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Radiator Cleaning

johnmereness wrote: I have used Brassworks www.thebrassworks.net/ and they have a core that is similar, but to my knowledge you still need to go to England for proper Auburn and Cord core.

This is true. I was down having lunch with Randy Ema today and we discussed this very thing. I recall about 4 years ago I offered a radiator to him for a customer but.. He said they are available in England for $1800.00.. Now Cliff noted they are $2400.00... Am wondering if copper has gone up that much or are they using gold as soldier... I will know in about a week if this one is cleanable because of the core tubes not being straight thru...

Gary Parsons

More
05 Mar 2020 23:37 #39653 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Radiator Cleaning
My memory is fading with the years. I think the name of the outfit in Great Britain was Wings and Radiators in Birmingham England. They were great to work with. I’m sure if you email them they can give you an accurate quote. As to cost of core plus the shipping.

• wynlaidig
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
11 Mar 2020 00:57 - 11 Mar 2020 01:00 #39694 by wynlaidig
Replied by wynlaidig on topic Radiator Cleaning
I recently re-cored my radiator and went with the Modine tube & fin core, rather than honeycomb for several reasons. First, in judging either the Jamestown honeycomb or the Modine tube & fin are equally acceptable. Second, the honeycomb cores available from the place in England are not an exact match for the original Jamestown honeycomb. See photos below. I got quotes and they were VERY high (seemed like nearly $3000 but I didn't save the number). I may consider paying that much if it was an exact match but not for something just "close". Third, Modine cores are still made by Modine, and were purchased by Cord even if not installed before they ceased production of the 810/812s. Fourth, I tested the flow in both my original Jamestown core and an old Cord Modine core and there was literally no comparison. The Modine design is far superior, and given that Cords are known for overheating it seemed wise to replace my honeycomb with Modine. Especially since it is equally acceptable for judging and the alternative is to pay 3x more for something that still isn't totally correct. I did the same thing with my heater core.

Cores available from the current source in England:

Original Jamestown honeycomb pattern:

Old Modine tube and fin Core:

My finished re-cored radiator:
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Mar 2020 01:00 by wynlaidig.

Time to create page: 0.319 seconds