Transmission oil pump clearance

• Thomas Wilcock
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
19 Apr 2019 17:53 #37035 by Thomas Wilcock
Replied by Thomas Wilcock on topic Transmission oil pump clearance
This is my first experience with a Cord. My transmission oil pump body, cover and gears are completely trashed. I have a new cover cast and can rebuild the body. If improvements can be made now is the time to do them. Henry recommended this modification to me several years ago. I should have had him do it for me then.
Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
19 Apr 2019 17:07 #37034 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Transmission oil pump clearance
I second what Jim has posted. Without plenty of data or engineering we can be creating more issues than we solve by doing modifications to our cars. There are some really great modifications done like a full flow oil filter or some axle shaft modification. These two are not something you want on a judged car. But they sure made for a great driver. In the end its my car or its your car. What I do or you do is personal. Advice is always freely given on this forum.
I have wanted to modify my trans oil pump like Henry Portz has done. He has passed on and I wonder if the drive tang of the oil pump is upgraded to handle the extra force of pumping the oil was taken into consideration when he made this modification.

Gary Parsons

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
19 Apr 2019 12:38 #37033 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Transmission oil pump clearance
Hi Tom, To answer your question No you can still get it in. I did this once because the cover and body were so badly worn out.

My question is Why do this? The original pump give plenty of oil flow for the transmission, even when it's worn out. The extra height of the gears may be adding more problems and cause the pump to wear out faster.
Jim

• Thomas Wilcock
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
18 Apr 2019 09:20 #37026 by Thomas Wilcock
Transmission oil pump clearance was created by Thomas Wilcock
I am currently rebuilding my transmission oil pump and am making a spacer to go between the pump body and the cover in order to use thicker gears for more volume. The spacer will be about 3/16"-1/4" thick. Will there be a clearance problem when the transmission is installed in the car? As I recall there is not a lot of extra room when everything is in place.
Tom