New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

Gear Selector Switch Wiring

More
22 Jul 2020 22:50 #40585 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
The switch is held in with snap ring. Also the shift body only comes out one way. ( side towards 10 wires)
The following user(s) said Thank You: alsancle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
22 Jul 2020 23:56 #40588 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
A couple of points on this thread - Terry, the switch you have there is an aftermarket switch - very different from the original but functions the same.
AJ - the housing has a keyway cut in it and the switch has a square on it so it will only go in one way.

The original snap ring was just a circular piece. This makes it hard to get out. There are updated ones out there that have a ring on the one end that makes it easy to grab and remove the snap ring.

My next article for the Newsletter will be on this subject. Will also include testing the switch to make sure it will work in the car.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S, alsancle

More
23 Jul 2020 21:01 #40594 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Thank you! Any idea who might have the updated snap rings?

More
23 Jul 2020 22:42 #40595 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Ok, so examining the snap ring (see picture) I have no idea how to compress that. Any suggestions?

Attachments:

More
24 Jul 2020 00:35 - 24 Jul 2020 00:38 #40596 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
nOT ABLE TO SUGGEST A WAY TO REMOVE THE SNAP RING BUT i'M TOLD ITS very DIFFICULT. i BET A SPECIAL TOOL IS GOING TO HAVE TO BE MADE. i NOTICED THE SWITCH APPEARS TO HAVE WLWCTRICAL TAPE WRAPPED AROUND IT. bE SURE TO WRAP THIS AGAIN OR USE SOME SHRINK WRAP IN THE EXPOSED CONDUCTOR AREA. tHEY GET REALLY CLOSE TO THE HOUSING AND A SHORT IS NOT SOMETHING YOU WANT IN THIS AREA.

gARY pARSONS
Last edit: 24 Jul 2020 00:38 by 1748 S. Reason: Sorry for the above post. Wife left computer on caps and I did not notice. I two finger type watching the keyboard

• JIM.OBRIEN
More
24 Jul 2020 01:20 #40597 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Hi Al, If you look closely at the housing there is a notch (like a keyway) in the housing . This area allows you to get behind the snap ring and pry it out. If you are lucky the end of the snap ring is near the notch. I use a long thin screwdriver to get behind the snap ring and pry it out of the groove. At the same time I use a O-ring tool or a dental pick to grab the snap ring and pull it out.

If the end of the snap ring is not near the notch try and a use the screwdriver to move it around so it is near the notch.

This is one job I would rather be lucky then good. I have had this job take me as long as 4 hours to get the ring out. I've done it enough lately I can get it out in less then 5 mins.

If you are having problems call me
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S, alsancle

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds