New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

Gear Selector Switch Wiring

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
28 Nov 2018 02:13 #36021 by Terry Cockerell
Gear Selector Switch Wiring was created by Terry Cockerell
I am in the process of installing new wiring harnesses. One problem that has come up is the gear change switch loom. To disconnect the wires from the switch and solder the new loom into position looks to be an almost impossible task. The original insulation on the original wiring looks to be ok so I am considering cutting the wires about 12 inches down from the switch and soldering the new loom from there.
I would appreciate some guidance from others who have tackled this trick job .......................... help.

T cockerell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2018 08:03 #36022 by Michael R
Replied by Michael R on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
I canot help with the decission wether to cut or to do the full job (last would be better but might be too hard work and perhaps will cause damage on the gear switch?) But if you decide for cutting, don´t cut at the same level, because the loom will be thicker after soldering. Perhaps you do have these wonderfull soldering fittings that will close the repair with a shrinking isolation automatically?

(pic shows my 49 Packard)
Attachments:

More
28 Nov 2018 14:25 #36023 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Terry do you have any pictures of this area? Also do you have the soldier suction tool to get the soldier off the tab and wires. The industry also offers a soldiering wick. It looks like braided copper tube material and comes in different sizes. I personally have not used either of these tools.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
More
28 Nov 2018 23:05 - 28 Nov 2018 23:09 #36029 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
I have just taken some pictures and hope to be able to attach them to this email.
Some of the cable ends were pushed into the plastic housing when originally put together. These are the areas I do not wish to disturb. I guess the safest route is to splice the cables lower down and staggered as suggested by Michael to keep the overall diameter down. I will look into getting outer cable shrink covers.
Thanks guys for your help and suggestions.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Nov 2018 23:09 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding text

More
29 Nov 2018 01:03 #36030 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
This can be a difficult place to soldier Terry. I have not done this yet but I know I have to do this job. Those round contacts must have been pushed thru the white piece after they were connected to the pin. I can't see any other way to soldier them. This is a new piece rotor. The original was black bakeolite and they get brittle after 80 years.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
More
29 Nov 2018 02:24 #36031 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Gary that is interesting as I assumed it was an original switch. I guess that switch is not so old.
I think I will splice the cables lower down. It will be safer that way.

T cockerell

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds