New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

Gear Selector Switch Wiring

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
15 May 2020 04:12 #40177 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Shrink tubing can be used for other applications that don't involve wiring. It comes in many diameters.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Terry Cockerell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
24 Jun 2020 10:35 - 24 Jun 2020 10:40 #40412 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
After avoiding the inevitable for long enough I got on with the job of rewiring the gear selector switch with a new one piece wiring loom eliminating the troublesome 10 pin plug.
Laying the cables out correctly is the key to success. The cables have to be slid into the steering column cover tube and pulled through from the bottom up to the switch . I had the cover tube out of the car with the cabin side firewall grommet in position. After carefully removing the old cables and soldering the new ones in position the switch was fitted to the cover tube. Eventually the new loom with a dummy 10 pin plug was fed through the firewall and the cover tube assembly slid down over the steering column and fixed in place. As you cannot slide the firewall side grommet over the cover tube with the cables in place, I simply made a cut through the grommet, positioned it and super glued the joint.
The gear selector switch has some contacts that are a tight fit in the plastic housing. In some reference material it said an ice pick can be used to push the contacts out. I figured pushing a point into soft material may make things worse. I cut the wires off flush with the plastic housing and used a small round flat ended punch to push them out. This worked well.
One day in the not too distant future I hope to be able to change gears again, when the restoration is finished.
One final note, I painted the insides of the switch gate black as it didn't look right in raw metal colours.

T cockerell
Last edit: 24 Jun 2020 10:40 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding pictures

More
24 Jun 2020 11:49 - 24 Jun 2020 11:52 #40413 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Terry, thank you for the pictures and write up. I'm wondering how hard this is going to be to do in the car. I'm also trying to convince my dad we should bite the bullet on a one piece harness.

A.J.
Last edit: 24 Jun 2020 11:52 by alsancle.

More
24 Jun 2020 16:29 #40415 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
Hmmm. Terry I hope you make out OK.. I’ve always wired the Bakelite switch first so I can feed the wires thru the shift arm and install the snap ring and then down the steering column tube. Also originally there is a fiber like cardboard round disk with holes in it that keeps the wires in the correct position at the back of the Bakelite switch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• Terry Cockerell
  • Terry Cockerell's Avatar Topic Author
More
24 Jun 2020 21:09 #40416 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
After making sure the soldered connections were all solid and that the cables were in the correct locations fitting the switch cover and internal rotating switch contact was not too bad. I then wrapped some insulation tape around the switch and cables. Literature I had said to use a piece of 3/16" threaded rod long enough to pass through the assembly with washers and nuts either end to compress the internal spring. With this in place fitting the internal circlip is a lot easier. The assemble was then moved towards the tube cover as the cables were pulled at the 10 pin plug end. It all went together pretty smoothly.
The job could be done with the steering column tube cover in position but it would be more tedious. Having it all out of the car makes it a lot easier to work on as you can rotate the tube cover when soldering the various connections around the switch.

T cockerell

More
22 Jul 2020 21:02 #40584 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Gear Selector Switch Wiring
I'm trying to replace bakelite switch with a new switch body made on a 3D printer by Pat Leahy. So, unless I disassemble the column to get the harness out, I will be trying to do what Terry is doing.

I will say that things are pretty tight. My question is probably simple, is there a snap ring holding the switch body inside the shifter housing? And can the body only go in one way?

thanks,

A.J.

Time to create page: 0.405 seconds