• RumRunner
  • RumRunner's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
09 Jul 2018 11:25 #34929 by RumRunner
RumRunner created the topic: Battery Current Draw When Off
Hello ACDers!

I'm curious if anyone on the forum knows what the typical battery current draw is when the car is completely off? With my Cord off, I measure about a 1.1 amp current draw. There is a manual battery disconnect in place which solves the problem of the battery draining after a few days of sitting, but just wondering what would be drawing ~1 amp when the car is off? I know that's only 6 watts, so nothing is getting hot or anything like that, but figured I'd ask if there were any places I should check first (or if this is normal) before I go and try to figure it out.

And the car is running well with the new water pump belt. First drive for me was yesterday!

-Michael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2018 11:39 #34930 by Curt Schulze
Curt Schulze replied the topic: Battery Current Draw When Off
In my opinion, there should be zero current draw.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• RumRunner
  • RumRunner's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
09 Jul 2018 13:44 #34931 by RumRunner
RumRunner replied the topic: Battery Current Draw When Off
I agree Curt. Just hoping someone can point me to likely suspects. I'll probably start disconnecting components this coming weekend to find the culprit.

-Michael

More
09 Jul 2018 14:50 #34932 by Curt Schulze
Curt Schulze replied the topic: Battery Current Draw When Off
Well, I would start with switches, then go to light connectors. when you find the problem and correct it ditch the cutoff switch.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

More
09 Jul 2018 14:52 #34933 by uconn_1965
uconn_1965 replied the topic: Battery Current Draw When Off
The only thing that will draw any current is the clock which is very, very little . The clock has a fuse that you can pull. You can then go to the head light switch and pull that fuse. if neither one of those is your problem, I would then go to your ignition switch which has 3 terminals. You can disconnect the wires from the terminals one at a time and see if you can locate the short. Good luck

More
09 Jul 2018 20:45 #34936 by JIM.OBRIEN
JIM.OBRIEN replied the topic: Battery Current Draw When Off
Like Cliff said the only thing that should be drawing power with the ignition off is the clock which is no where near 1 amp. Make sure your control levers are all the way up. They often jiggle down when driving and either the instrument lights or parking lights come on and you don't notice it.
CORDially,
Jim

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds