Skip to main content

Tachometer

• morrisgauge
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
19 Jul 2015 03:30 #29923 by morrisgauge
Replied by morrisgauge on topic Re: Tachometer
I would recommend starting with cleaning the cable and housing, inspecting the cable for kinks and lubricating with a light lithium grease or one of the many cable lubricants available. For most applications, simply lubricating the first 2/3 while reinserting the cable core is sufficient. Beyond that, having the head unit serviced by a professional shop is your next step. Speedometer/tachometer service requires specialized tooling in order to be performed efficiently and accurately.

www.morrisgauge.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Red Brick
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
15 Jul 2015 05:11 #29897 by Red Brick
Replied by Red Brick on topic Re: Tachometer
Thanks for the good replies, guys. I'll check into the possibilities.
Albert

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
15 Jul 2015 03:05 #29894 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Re: Tachometer
I had a similar problem with me Auburn speedo. I had the speedo repaired three times. I examined the cable for frays or any rough spots and could find nothing wrong with it. I replaced the cable casing and cable and that solved the problem. A speedo expert told we that just because the cable looks good the inside of the casing could be bad and dragging the cable which was my problem.
Cordially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Mark Tomei
  • Registered
More
15 Jul 2015 00:24 #29891 by Mark Tomei
Replied by Mark Tomei on topic Re: Tachometer
Hello:

I'm sure like most Cord anomalies, there will be fifty different opinions on the cause of this problem. My experience would be that since the jumping only happens at lower RPM's, that the cable is your culprit versus the instrument. Cleaning the cable and the cable housing and then lubricating it using graphite or white lithium, not both, should do the trick. If the cable is kinked or frayed, replace it. If that doesn't fix the problem, inspecting and repairing the gauge may be in order.

Mark

• Red Brick
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
14 Jul 2015 04:50 #29884 by Red Brick
Tachometer was created by Red Brick
The tachometer in my 812 is starting to bounce at lower RPMs, although it smooths out around 2,000 RPM. In addition to disconnecting the cable at the tach and removing the cable to grease it, is it recommended to disconnect the cable housing at both ends and to run some type of solvent through it?

Also, do most 810/812 owners use speedometer cable grease or graphite or white lithium grease?

Finally, if it's not the cable and is the gauge, what do you recommend?

Thanks.