Correct Autolite Generator

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
09 Jun 2015 23:58 #29721 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Re: Correct Autolite Generator
Thanks Mark. Its members like you that help others like myself keep working on our cars.
I am a member on an old Ford diesel site named Oilburners.net. I keep tracking whats going on there to help others. Since joining I have over 22,300 posts helping others. These engines were built by International from 1983 to 1994 when they were installed in F250 and F350 trucks. Its all mechanical injection so there is none of the electronic stuff to mess with. We have one member that installed a 6.9 engine with a ZF 5 speed trans in an F150 single cab truck. He routinely gets 29.5 mpg. So that to any prius driver. These engines can burn for fuel used fry oil. Used hydraulic fluid or waste motor oil. Some even use furnace oil or jet fuel because they work on airports. They are the true multi fuel engines. The exhaust will smell like the oil its burning. So McDonald's waster oil is mostly used to fry up french fries so the exhaust smells like that. Now think what donut waste oil exhaust will smell like...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mark Tomei
  • Registered
More
02 Jun 2015 05:18 #29692 by Mark Tomei
Replied by Mark Tomei on topic Re: Correct Autolite Generator
Hi. I think you are closer to your goal than most. The SP263 pulley is as rare as the generator or maybe, even rarer. Given that most SP263 pulleys left on earth are on also mounted on the front of the very few GCO-4804-A's finding an orphan was quite a find. I'll do my best to get that number for you ASAP.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
30 May 2015 04:07 #29678 by 1748 S
From what I have just read about the differences between the 2 & 3 bruch generators I think I will strive for the 2 brush with a firewall mounted voltage regulator. This is what came on my car but sadly the generator is from a Packard. My voltage regulator is the VRP 4006 C. Any information on the final number for the end plate is greatly appreciated too as I have the SP 263 pulley and the number of the one end plate being GBW 63.

• Mark Tomei
  • Registered
More
27 May 2015 01:29 #29665 by Mark Tomei

Mark Tomei wrote: Hi. Just a clarification; the third brush generator is the earlier unit with the regulator mounted on the generator itself. The two brush generator (GCO-4804-A) has a separate firewall mounted regulator and was available in the '37 model year only. The main difference between the two is that the two brush regulator will send power to the battery when is senses use or a drawdown whereas the third brush style will send power at a preset rate whether the battery needs a charge or not including when it's boiling over or even dead. This innovation in Dynamo design has saved many a battery let alone carpeting, paint and anything else potentially ruined by the leaking battery acid.

• Mark Tomei
  • Registered
More
26 May 2015 16:14 #29659 by Mark Tomei
The rear end plate is an Autolite GBW-63. I will post the front end plate number behind the pulley when possible.

• Mark Tomei
  • Registered
More
26 May 2015 16:03 #29658 by Mark Tomei
Hi. Just a clarification; the third brush generator is the earlier unit with the regulator mounted on the generator itself. The two brush generator has a separate firewall mounted regulator and was available in the '37 model year only. The main difference between the two is that the two brush regulator will send power to the battery when is senses use or a drawdown whereas the third brush style will send power at a preset rate whether the battery needs a charge or not including when it's boiling over or even dead. This innovation in Dynamo design has saved many a battery let alone carpeting, paint and anything else potentially ruined by the leaking battery acid.

• Mark Tomei
  • Registered
More
26 May 2015 15:58 #29657 by Mark Tomei
Hi. Just a clarification; the third brush generator is the earlier unit with the regulator mounted on the generator itself. The two brush generator has a separate firewall mounted regulator and was available in the '37 model year only. The main difference between the two is the the two brush regulator will send power to the battery when is senses use or a drawdown whereas the third brush style will send power at a preset rate whether the battery needs a charge or not including when it's boiling over or even dead. This innovation in Dynamo design has saved many a battery let alone carpeting, paint and anything else potentially ruined by the leaking battery acid.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
22 May 2015 21:21 #29638 by 1748 S
So is there a part number for these correct end pieces of the generator? Out here in So Ca. we have some really large car show swap meets. One in particular is at the LA Fair Grounds and it has more than 7 miles of parts on display!!. I used to ride a bike around the stuff looking. Now I walk because some fool felt he could make a quick buck suing the place cause he got run into by some guy peddling his bike. It never fails. But now I walk with a big sandwich sign asking for the parts I want. It sure beats asking every place you stop at. Gotten many good leads too because people read the sign on my front and back and talk to me about what I want. Its kind of like I'm silently asking everyone that sees me for something.

• william057
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
22 May 2015 01:49 #29578 by william057
Replied by william057 on topic Re: Correct Autolite Generator
I just had my 36 Cord Generator rebuilt here in Grand Rapids.
Given that it is a two brush, it is a different generator than the 1937, It has the Autolite regulator VRP 6001A. He was able to slightly adjust the settings and was able to squeeze out about 35 amps. The man that owns the company that rebuilds generators and starters is of the belief that the 2 brush is actually better than the 3 brush. I have no opinion but he is well versed in the old generators.

Bill Heisler - 1936 Cord

• Mark Tomei
  • Registered
More
21 May 2015 04:52 #29572 by Mark Tomei
Hello:

I'm answering this question and trying out the new website at the same time!

The proper generator for late production Cords (approx. after 1-37) is the infamous 6 volt 28 amp model GCO-4804-A. The pulley is an SP-263 A. While others may look like the GCO, including the Packard version, the indexing of the mounting ears are quite different. To my knowledge this particular GCO generator was used exclusively on the Cord. There is a Chrysler generator that is close but when installed, it is rotated noticeable too far to one side because of the ear orientation. The GCO-4804-A generator is used with the firewall mounted high base Autolite regulator VRB 4008C. Both the generator and regulator are quite rare and thought of in certain ACD circles as right up there with the artwork of Picasso or a '55 Bordeaux of Château Lafite Rothschild.

The easier generator to find would be the earlier 6 volt third brush model with the SP-191 pulley and the generator top mounted Autolite cutout. While still rare, they're out there and very rebuildable.

Mark

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
20 May 2015 01:12 #29551 by 1748 S
Correct Autolite Generator was created by 1748 S
How does a correct generator differ from any other Autolite generator? I have a newly rebuilt Packard generator the fits and is the same amp output. I recently installed the correct pulley on it too so its appearance looks good. Is it the pulley number and the tag number thats telling us whats correct? I see so many Autolite generators all around and would just like to actually see or know the difference.