Skip to main content

Generator Pulley

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
06 Jul 2014 19:40 #27774 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic water pump
I rebuilt my water pump using Henry's items. Car has never overheated nor leaked. That was five+ years ago. When I put the cover on I used plenty of the no-size stuff on it so I could get the cover off later if needed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
05 Jul 2014 20:04 #27771 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Generator Pulley
Hi,

Glad it worked out OK for you. Seems to me that there should be a seal on the shaft, or it would leak like a sieve.

Disassembling the 810/812 water pump is matter of legend. Heat, penetrating formula, and a home-made spanner improve the odds of removing the flange without damage. One lesson to know about it, from my dad's store of disassembly-of-stuff wisdom: "if you can make it move, you can get it apart."

Nevr-Seez installed today improves the odds of removing the flange in the future. :-)

My dad rebuilt the water pump back in the 60's. He said he thought that was the hardest aspect of rebuilding the car. I don't know what he encountered, but I do know he did a lot of machining work on the thing. Maybe I'll open it up before I install it, just to see what's there.

Henry Portz offers an improved-design impeller and other parts for this pump. You might look at that before you re-assemble yours.

www.portzcordz.com/forsale.shtml

And you're right about the forum. I have downloaded dozens of articles on aspects of my basket case Cord. Even so, I am sure I will have many questions as I put the old 1509A back together. I have a question now on my front brakes backing plates--they look cock-eyed, but it will have to wait until I have the car back here at the house to get a picture.

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
05 Jul 2014 17:34 #27770 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Generator Pulley
Thanks Tom. After soaking overnite with Aerokroil I was able to press it off easily. What I found was a ball bearing on that end of the shaft. Interesting to say the leaks. Also the pulley has a woodruf key in it too. My generator had a rebuild sticker on it from many years ago. It may have been rebuilt sometime in the very early 1961 or 62 year. I was just 10 or 11 back then... So the restoration conrinues. This forum has surely helped me continue in the right direction without breaking things. Way back in 1975 I "tried" to remove the water pump cover without heat. What looking like the cover was coming off was actually the bolt flange breaking off. I never did get the cover off but sent it to Stan for a rebuild. We do live and learn.

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
05 Jul 2014 00:35 #27769 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Generator Pulley
Hi,

Stan addressed this in a prior forum. There should be two threaded holes in the pulley hub into which you drive bolts that should push the pulley off.

I have seen push-remove pull-on hubs on many applications. Most commonly these days you will see threaded holes to apply pressure to a brake rotor to pop it loose from its hub. Doesn't always work though--depends on how solidly the brake disk is rusted in place!

forums.phpstack-1081784-3880776.cloudwaysapps.com/phpbb2/viewto ... tor+pulley

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
05 Jul 2014 00:26 #27768 by 1748 S
Generator Pulley was created by 1748 S
How does the generator pully come off the shaft. I have removed the nut and lock washer and see something that I do not understand. Almost looks like the axle bolt tapered fitting found on a big rig axle. Kind of like a cone fitting to wedge the bolt into the hub. Thanks for any help too. I have it soaking in Aerokroil. Have heated it up and cooled it down using that stuff. Really creeps into the tinyest places. Advertisement on can tells me it will creep into a one millionth of an inch space. I have used it for about 40 years in the power plant industry.