Skip to main content

CORD 810/812 DRIVER'S COMPANION BOOKLET

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
03 Jun 2013 00:08 #25321 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Jacking a Cord
1. If you drive a lot, your Cord should be wearing radial tires. That will reduce the likelihood of a flat by 90% or more.

2. If you do have to jack up your Cord on the road, ignore the threaded shaft that's fastened inside the trunk. The original Cord jack is essentially a bumper mangler. It's just there for show. Instead, be sure you are carrying a scissors jack or a lightweight "garage" jack. All-aluminum ones are no longer out of reach financially, are light enough to handle easily, and don't take much up much space in the trunk. A hydraulic scissors jack is easier to use than a screw jack.

3. Jack the car up in the front with the jacking pad under the front spring lower plate. That's the one in the center that holds the bearing for the "wishbone" as well. Be sure to test your jack at home to be certain that it is low enough to slide under there.

4. Jacking points at the rear are the front hangars of the rear semi-elliptic springs.

5. A piece of sturdy (3/4") plywood can be useful if you need to use the jack in an area that is not properly paved.

6. As with all cars, be sure you are carrying wheel chocks and that you use them. Folding ones are available that take up almost no space.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
02 Jun 2013 13:25 #25313 by Bill Hummel
CORD 810/812 DRIVER'S COMPANION BOOKLET was created by Bill Hummel
I am hoping this becomes a very long thread! I will have a complete Cord S/C 812 on the road soon. But I know 1% as much as many of you about the operation and maintenance of a Cord.

There are many new (and old) members in my predicament. Maybe that's why I have enjoyed the convenience of a hot-rod these last 12 years. Well, I'm ready for the real thing!

I wish to create a CORD 810/812 DRIVER'S COMPANION that I can make into a small booklet and keep in my Cord's glove compartment. It will not be a manual, but will be a HOW-TO on the essentials for keeping my car on the road.

Topics like:

Where the jack is and where on the car it is safe to jack it up if I have to change a tire.

If the engine stalls and won't start, a Top-10 things to look for.

If the transmission won't go into or come out of a gear, the things to look for.

How to check the oil level, how to check the transmission level, etc.

What to do if the brakes act up?

What if the headlights won't come on?

What type of fluids will get me out of a bind if all I am near is a Walmart or Napa Store?

If I have to winch the Cord onto a flat-bed, where is a safe place to hook up?

This will be a practical booklet that will take the fear out of driving a Cord. This is a MUST if we are going to attract a new generation of Cord owners and members of our Club.

I NEED YOUR HELP! I WANT YOUR EXPERIENCE!

If you want to help, just REPLY to this thread. Put the topic of your TIP on the subject line. The. Put your tip in the body of the message.

ONE TIP PER REPLY PLEASE!

You will get credit in the back of the booklet if you contribute. We can do the same for all of our cars if you guys will step up to the plate.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.