Skip to main content

810-12 Cord instrument light rheostat availability

• Pat Leahy
  • Registered
More
12 Mar 2013 11:47 #24772 by Pat Leahy
I have modern replacements available at $10.00 each + shipping. The new style does not have a fully off position and should be wired into the headlight switch to function only with the headlights or park lights.

Pat Leahy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
12 Mar 2013 10:00 #24771 by Josh Malks
Check your ACD Newsletter Archive DVD. There is a decades-old article by Syd Ayres on fitting a "modern" rheostat to the Cord quadrant.

Also, if you have one that works but flickers, try contact cleaners like No-Ox or NeverStall. (Google them.)

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• oldbanger71
  • Registered
More
12 Mar 2013 09:42 #24770 by oldbanger71
Replied by oldbanger71 on topic 810-12 Cord instrument light rheostat availability
Peter, do you need instrument-panel-lights ? What type of bulb and socket is fitted now, i might be able to organize something, as i get bulbs directly from the factory. www.pst-ch.ch/oldtimer/birnen.html This is only a small selection and if you let me know what you need, i can tell you what i can arrange.
For the Reostat have a look here: dech.rs-online.com/web/p/regelwi ... e/0149085/
Best regards, Philipp

The more i know, the more i realize that i don't know enough.
812 310 121 S

• silverghost
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
12 Mar 2013 03:56 #24769 by silverghost
Replied by silverghost on topic 810-12 Cord instrument light rheostat availability
Possibly could the rheostat's wiper arm's rotating contact spring pressure be increased by slightly bending it to put more working pressure on the resistor coil ? Heat from the resistor usually slowly warps the rotating contact arm.
You might also try to file the arm's actual rotating contact block to remove any past spark pitting.
I don't know if you can take your old unit apart to make necessary repairs & adjustments ?
If you can this might be just an easy repair adjustment.

Just a few thoughts if you cannot find another better, & newer replacement lighting rheostat.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
11 Mar 2013 23:37 #24767 by 1748 S
If the reostat you found and are testing is flickering then I feel its shot. There should be smooth light intencaty as you increase the nob.

• stroker
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
11 Mar 2013 22:24 #24763 by stroker
Gents- I need a source for an instrument light rheostat that would fit. Also, are higher intensity bulbs available in 6 volts? What I've ginned up so far with an old found rheostat is a rather dim illumination, and when rotating the rheostat I get flickers.

Any thoughts or resources would be greatly welcomed!

Pete Rhoads

pete rhoads, restoring 810 phaeton 2241 H