Skip to main content

Engine Block Color

• Brad Waken
  • Registered
More
09 Mar 2013 16:22 #24730 by Brad Waken
Replied by Brad Waken on topic Engine Block Color
FYI - According to Connersville assembly plant bulletin, all frames, engines, suspension to be inspected for paint damage and [i:17f057t0]repaired[/i:17f057t0] with Acme 206 GLOSS enamel - Black.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
08 Mar 2013 01:37 #24709 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic Engine Block Color
Hello. Sorry no mention usually satin was chassis black which was a paint thinned with gasoline and had a short finish life . Randy

• john mccall
  • Registered
More
07 Mar 2013 02:06 #24695 by john mccall
Replied by john mccall on topic Engine Block Color
Randy,
Did the Lycoming build sheets mention anything about satin or semi gloss on any of the parts, or were they just to be painted black?

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
06 Mar 2013 20:49 #24688 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic Engine color
Of the four FB engines I have two are red. I also have a bell housing and an oil pan which are red. I have had these since the early 60's. If all the engines were black from the factory then my guess is my two red engines were rebuilt by the same place before the 60's. Maybe the factory when Winslow had it?

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
06 Mar 2013 15:59 #24682 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic Engine Block Color
Acording to the Lycoming build sheets everything painted was black Block pan bell housing dist ect. Randy

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
06 Mar 2013 02:23 #24667 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Engine Block Color
As to the color of the distributater body.. Mine is a dark red color. I have seen them mostly black so any imput as to this proper or acceptable color option..

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
06 Mar 2013 02:16 #24664 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Engine Block Color
Keep in mind that the parts company Dallas Winslow would rebuild engines. It is not unusual to see an Auburn 850, 851, 852 engine is grey (the color they appear to have put on during rebuilding) verses greyish olivish green. I do not want to open the Auburn can of worms here as both colors are correct in judging via all the controversy, but I assume Dallas Winslow had their favorite color for Cord rebuilds as well.

JMM

• charlesflick
  • Registered
More
02 Mar 2013 15:33 #24628 by charlesflick
Replied by charlesflick on topic Engine Block Color
I am interested in "1748 S" comment that the original color of the blocks were red.

On my unrestored car, the block, transmission and bellhousing and parts of the subframe are red. there are signs of overspray from repainting and other colors too. Does anyone else have any support for red color.

s699.beta.photobucket.com/user/c ... c.jpg.html

Charles Flick

• ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
15 Feb 2013 19:56 #24510 by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
Replied by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER on topic Tailamp color
While we are on this kick what is this and what is the correct color. I have a question for all you scholars. I understand that some parts that came from vendors already had paint on them such as starters, generators etc. Please tell me those interested what CHINA Black is? Painted by the vendor on the tail lamp assemble, Auburn just put them on as is. So help me, please.

LIFE MEMBER #25 Man of the Year 2011 WHAT EVER WE DO FOR OURSELF DIES WITH US
WHAT EVER WE DO FOR THE WORLD STAYS
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
15 Feb 2013 17:36 #24508 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Engine Block Color
Hmmm,

I guess that trumps the John Deere Green Rustoleum that my dad used in 1955 when he and my brother rebuilt the drive train. As he said later, "It's what I had on hand, so that's what it got."

I'll paint black over the JDG when the engine comes back out of the car in April.

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

• Mark Tomei
  • Registered
More
15 Feb 2013 15:15 #24506 by Mark Tomei
Replied by Mark Tomei on topic Engine Block Color
Hello Ken. Excellent input. Unfortunately, not to let a little data spoil a perfectly good hypothesis, satin and flat paints date farther back than the Sistine Chapel. According to the Department of the Interior, both satin and semi-gloss paints were in widespread use in the States beginning in or around 1830. However, the real question here is what Cord used on their 810-812 mechanical parts such as the block. Like Ethan, my personal experience is that the paint I've discovered in protected areas behind seal retainers, etc. has a lower gloss or satin/semi-gloss look to it. Since we don't have practical access to the actual paint formulation used at Lycoming, we also can't presuppose that the gloss failed uniformly into that semi-gloss/satin look that we see today. I have asked many folks over the years who are our Club's 810-812 devotees and, while not getting the same answer all of the time, the consensus seems to be that semi-gloss/satin is correct.

• Visitor
15 Feb 2013 11:41 #24502 by
Replied by on topic paint
Guys
You Must know that they did not have a satin finish back in that time, the paint was of a fairly poor quality, so it lost its luster very quickly to any sun. but if take things apart carefully and can look in the shadows you will see that it is still shiny. And if you watch some of the very old movies of the car assembly plants you know that they dipped most small parts and did that one time so is not a lot of paint on these parts.
So I have to disagree with the satin and say it was shiny Black when new.
My 2 cents
K Clark

• Mark Tomei
  • Registered
More
15 Feb 2013 06:10 #24501 by Mark Tomei
Hello Ethan!

I agree, it was not a flat black. Satin black would be that 60-70% gloss range versus no reflective gloss at all. Most formulations utilize crushed or pulverized glass to modify the reflective quality of the paint both then and now.

• ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
15 Feb 2013 04:24 #24499 by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
Replied by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER on topic PAINT
I have been able to look at a Cord Phaeton that was a one owner car since new, we do not see this to often at least since I started tearing into these Cords around 1968. I believe the black that was used was a semi-gloss not flat black. This Cord I have started to dis-assemble gives me a great idea of how a Cord was painted at the factory or hardly painted.

LIFE MEMBER #25 Man of the Year 2011 WHAT EVER WE DO FOR OURSELF DIES WITH US
WHAT EVER WE DO FOR THE WORLD STAYS
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Mark Tomei
  • Registered
More
06 Feb 2013 01:17 #24457 by Mark Tomei
Hello: Although there may have been differing memories on the proper color for the engine block and transaxle, I'm certain today that the consensus amongst Cord historians would be that it is satin black. That would also be correct for the stub frame, suspension, steering and radiator. Against the natural aluminum heads and intake manifold, it is quite striking. Some items such as the distributor, starter, regulator and generator could be in high gloss black as they were sourced from third party vendors. DuPont and Eastwood both sell a satin black with a 60-70% gloss that is a good reference.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
04 Feb 2013 18:42 #24455 by 1748 S
Engine Block Color was created by 1748 S
I have seen many Cords with the engine blocks painted black. Also the gear box the same color black. Many years ago I was reading something about the color that came off the assembly line was red for the engine blocks. Can anyone offer information to what color is correct and is there a shade chip or color I can buy somewhere. Thank for any information.