Skip to main content

Toggle switch surround

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
28 Dec 2011 16:32 #21760 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Toggle switch surround
Pat is right. The interior painted details were nearly always body color, but varied in some combinations to add a touch of contrast.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pat Leahy
  • Registered
More
28 Dec 2011 14:26 #21755 by Pat Leahy
Replied by Pat Leahy on topic Quadrant
Based on the factory information on color combinations, many quadrants would be painted exterior color, but not all. The service/information manual that the ACD museum sells has each exterior color with all pertinent items requiring paint on your car. My Geneval Blue Custom Beverly is blue exterior with blue upholstery, carpet, headliner, dash and door surrounds, while the quadrant, door strips, knobs and piping are gray. To get it right, check the factory engineering manuals.

Pat Leahy

• Emporator
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
28 Dec 2011 11:33 #21754 by Emporator
Replied by Emporator on topic Toggle switch surround
Thank you gents - most interesting.

Josh, that's the term - switch quadrant. I've been mulling over that one.

This has put me on the right track regarding colour(s). I'll take it that any quadrant chrome-plated is not strictly true.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
28 Dec 2011 05:36 #21753 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Toggle switch surround
That's correct, Pete.

Switch quadrant painted exterior body color. Seat piping on sedans same color as exterior too. Looks quite nice in most cases.

Remember, the original color combinations coordinated the interior and exterior colors, virtually unheard of in 1936. So you would not have green piping on blue broadcloth, for example.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

More
28 Dec 2011 02:24 #21749 by stroker
Replied by stroker on topic Toggle switch surround color
If I am correct I think you're talking about the centrally mounted casting which houses four lever-like switches. I had this question posted several years ago, and was told both it, window crank discs and an optional ashtray front should be the color of the car exterior, not the color of the dash, which seems more appropriate. Also the Cord Listing has seat piping the exterior color, (which could be awful !)

Gents, is this correct?

Pete Rhoads

pete rhoads, restoring 810 phaeton 2241 H

• Emporator
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
26 Dec 2011 08:00 #21732 by Emporator
Toggle switch surround was created by Emporator
Hello all,

After seeing a few variations on the colour of the toggle switch surround (is this the proper term for it?) I'm wondering - what's the consensus view on the finish? Should it be painted to match the dash? Is having it chrome plated ok?

I've seen a few variations on the toggle switches themselves - some are painted, others polished, chrome plating for a few and some are in between all three!

I admit it's a bit of an innocuous question, but I'm curious after seeing such a difference across the board.