Skip to main content

Front Windshield Gaskets

More
03 Dec 2011 18:10 #21540 by Jazzman
Replied by Jazzman on topic glass setting tape
Hi Bill,I used electrical friction tape and it works great.I was able to get 1.5
wide roll. good luck Carlton

I have heard there are 29,816 parts to one of these cords. Most of mine came ups..... and didn't fit

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• oldbanger71
  • Registered
More
03 Dec 2011 16:01 #21537 by oldbanger71
Replied by oldbanger71 on topic Front Windshield Gaskets
I would do it with DumDum sealant for Glass, easy to use, easy to remove, stays elastic but with a closed topcoat, absolutley watertight, black and stays black and used by manny car makes. I used it at my Rolls Royce, Land Rover, Volvo and other cars . I will do it on my Cord once i get there and i'm sorry that i have not used it on my '39 Chevy because i did not know then and now the water gets between the rubber and glass and inside the car.
You need no thinners and you just keep it in your garage and use it when you need it. it doesn't attack paint or chrome and is not expensiv at all. this link is from uk but i'm sure you'll find it in the usa as well :

www.frost.co.uk/automotive-bodyw ... pound.html

Philipp

The more i know, the more i realize that i don't know enough.
812 310 121 S

• oldbanger71
  • Registered
More
03 Dec 2011 15:47 #21536 by oldbanger71
an other could behttp://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/me ... _Code=JASS
Philipp

812 310 121 S

• oldbanger71
  • Registered
More
03 Dec 2011 15:34 #21535 by oldbanger71
I would do it with DumDum sealant for Glass, easy to use, easy to remove, stays elastic but with a closed topcoat, absolutley watertight, black and stays black and used by manny car makes. I used it at my Rolls Royce, Land Rover, Volvo and other cars . I will do it on my Cord once i get there and i'm sorry that i have not used it on my '39 Chevy because i did not know then and now the water gets between the rubber and glass and inside the car.
You need no thinners and you just keep it in your garage and use it when you need it. it doesn't attack paint or chrome and is not expensiv at all. this link is from uk but i'm sure you'll find it in the usa as well :

www.frost.co.uk/automotive-bodyw ... pound.html

Philipp

812 310 121 S

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
03 Dec 2011 08:24 #21534 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Front Windshield Gaskets
Bill, it probably had something called glass setting tape - a good glass shop or a model A Ford place should have such (it is like a rubberized canvas). That being said, most glass shops are not all that good at it as it is not modern technology (and a really good shop usually has a jig for installation in window frames and vent window frames (prevents misshaping and stressing corners of frame). What I have been doing is just fitting the glass in the frame and then having shop center glass side to side with some toothpicks and then using their black RTV on both sides (which may not be a 100 point solution - though few people ever spotted such on my last 99.5 point car) and it works well for a car that sits out on occasion for tours and such.

JMM

• Bill McLaughlin
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
02 Dec 2011 15:14 #21533 by Bill McLaughlin
Front Windshield Gaskets was created by Bill McLaughlin
I am replacing the windshield gaskets on a Westchester and have a couple of questions:

1) What do people use for the gasket that sits in the metal frame channel where the W/S glass slides into ? I was going to use a flat W/S rubber strip (3/64" x 1&1/2?) from Restoration Specialties and just trim off excess:

< www.restorationspecialties.com/2008%20ca...talog%20ebook.pdf> ; on Page 32 - "Sealstrip - all rubber" Part # RO47.

Is this suitable ?

2) For the gasket that seals the W/S to the body when W/S is closed, I have the Auburn/Cord Parts (part #3013). I want to confirm that the rounded side of this gasket faces out and the con-caved side faces in.

Thanks for your help. Bill McLaughlin 1937 Westchester