810/812 in Philly ?

• silverghost
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
19 Nov 2011 05:32 #21458 by silverghost
810/812 in Philly ? was created by silverghost
While traveling into Philadelphia by train to attend Drexel University, & later Penn, in the early to late 1970s there was an 810 or 812 Cord sitting outside & forgotten on flat tires in the large fenced-in side lot of a grand old large home between Wayne Junction rail yard & the old giant Reading Terminal center city Philly train shed (now the Philadelphia Convention Center) .
It sat there from at least 1972 -1979.
In fact~
It was still sitting there when I last rode on that Reading West Trenton train line in 1979 just before graduating with my Masters (MBA).
The car was a very dark weathered blue/black color.
It seemed complete & very solid with no damage by the local neighborhood kids & vandals.
As a poor student at this time I had no money to spend on this restoration project at this time period.
The car was also sitting in a very bad & dangerous neighborhood that was at one time in it's prime ~~~a very wealthy area.
There was no mistaking what kind of car it was.
It was very easy to spot from the train windows.
I often wondered if this Cord was ever rescued by any collector ?
Did anyone ever remember hearing of such a 810/812 Cord car find comming out of Philly in that time period~~~or possibly slightly later ?
Does anyone else remember seeing, or hearing about, this long forgotten & sadly abandoned Philadelphia Cord ?
Does it still exist today ?
Was it saved; & ever restored ?
If so~~~
Who owns it today ?

I must also mention that I only next rode that same train about seven years ago and the Cord & grand large home were long gone~~~
It's now just a empty bare lot full of trash ~~~as is much of many parts of the old city.
Very sad sight indeed.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.