Skip to main content

Cord original tires

• Brad Waken
  • Registered
More
29 Sep 2011 13:27 #21103 by Brad Waken
Replied by Brad Waken on topic Cord original tires
50 Years Ago in December, 1939
One of the latest products from the B.F. Goodrich Co., Akron, Ohio, is a tire with one white sidewall and one black sidewall. This tire was developed so that the car owners could enjoy the appearance effect of white sidewall tires and be free of the annoyance of having the inside sidewall show up dirty. The tendency of grease and dirt to collect on the inner side of the tire prevented motorists from reversing their tires to hide the soiled appearance. With this new tire, the black inside wall will not show up the accumulated dirt and grease, and the outside will still retain the white sidewall appearance.

Motor Age, December, 1939

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
13 Sep 2011 04:59 #20935 by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
Replied by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER on topic TIRES
Stated size of the two sided WW was 650X16, there have been a few photos from the factory that you could see they were two sided. I hate to be the one to clean them.

LIFE MEMBER #25 Man of the Year 2011 WHAT EVER WE DO FOR OURSELF DIES WITH US
WHAT EVER WE DO FOR THE WORLD STAYS
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Josh Malks
  • Registered
More
12 Sep 2011 15:06 #20925 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Cord original tires
810s were shipped with double whites. Literature indicates that they were a dealer option on 812s. Photos exist of 1937 Cords with blackwalls.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

More
11 Sep 2011 15:08 #20918 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Cord original tires
If they are blackwalls then I would guess no. Josh please confirm but I thought all 810/812s were shipped with double whites.

• Josh Malks
  • Registered
More
11 Sep 2011 14:59 #20917 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Cord original tires
Original tires, if whitewall, would have been white on BOTH sides. ("Double whites".)

"Single whites", that is, tires with the whitewall on only one side, were not offered by the tire manufacturers in 1937. They arrived just before WWII.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• GarryMorgan
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
10 Sep 2011 17:57 #20913 by GarryMorgan
Cord original tires was created by GarryMorgan
Point of curiosity.
The well worn spares on my 812 Cord (they are visible and already well worn in their pockets in a 1950 barn photograph that I have) are marked "US Royal" deluxe, 7.50x 16, and have a round US Rubber logo cast in the sidewall (black). -So much for modern sidewall nomenclature. They coincidentally are still holding aie.

Is there any possibility that these could be OEM? Has anyone an idea what brand of tire was supplied new?. My only problem is that the sidemount covers are fitted to these quite narrow tires so I will be retaining them for fit rather than emergency.

1937 812 Sidemount Custom Beverly