Skip to main content

Selector Switch

• Pat Leahy
  • Registered
More
10 Aug 2011 12:31 #20704 by Pat Leahy
Replied by Pat Leahy on topic Cord selector switch
Here is my suggestion for repairing the selector switch:

1.) Remove horn cap (remove screw in back side of steering wheel) and unscrew horn cap. Watch for springs to fly out.
2.) Remove nut holding the steering wheel on.
3.) Gently rock steering wheel side to side and remove steering wheel from shaft and remove keyway.
4.) Remove two bolts holding steering column to dash.
5.) Unplug wiring harness under hood at steering column.
6.) Slide rubber seal down the steering column shaft on the engine side.
7.) From the front seat, pull steering column out (with shifter stalk).
8.) Set shaft on bench.
9.) Remove shifter end cap and pencil shaft selector arm (has a clip on the bottom and a spring)
10.) Rotate pencil shaft and withdraw (rotate till you feel the keyway line up)
11.) Remove 4 screws on shifter clamp assembly, and carefully move the shifter assembly away from shaft while feeding wire back up the steering shaft. Be careful NOT to put any sideways force on the selector switch internal to the stalk.
12.) Next cut a piece of 1/4" all thread 6" long. Put a nut on one end and feed it through the selector switch from the steering shaft side. You may have a paper separator washer with the wires going through it to pull out of your way and you will need to move some wires to the side.
13.) From the cap side thread a nut on the all thread and tighten it down lightly. I then spray WD-40 on the selector switch from the steering wheel side to help loosen up any crud between the switch and the stalk body. Allow this to soak in and tighten the all thread a little more. You should actually feel the switch draw down in the stalk a little against an internal spring.
14.) I use a small pick with a slight bend on the end to remove the round retainer ring down in the stalk holding the switch in place. Use a flashlight to check for the slot to slide this tool between the stalk housing and the retainer ring. Carefull pull up this ring out of its groove, and remove.
15.) Last if you a lucky enough to get to this point without breaking the switch, loosen the all thread and try to withdraw the switch. If it does not feel like it will come out with a gentle pull on the wires, try soaking it some more with WD-40. Resist the temptation to pull harder on the wiring to remove the switch. Sometimes, they just won't come out and may break.
16.) One way or another the switch has to come out, and a rotary disk and spring will fall out of the stalk also.

If you make all of this happen without any breakage, I can coach you along on cleaning, adjusting, testing, and reassembly. If you break the switch, I have some possible repairs.

Although the switch can be removed without taking out the steering shaft, odds are greater for switch breakage. It is also more difficult to install, adjust, and reassemble.

I have spent countless hours studying and repair CORD shifters and have made most of the errors possible. I feel that many cars that do not shift well, are due to age on the contacts in this switch, the cross shift switch, clutch switch, and main cylinder switch.

I strive to make the electical part work perfectly by testing parts over and over again.

GOOD LUCK>>>>>>>

Pat Leahy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dartsmart67
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
10 Aug 2011 02:05 #20700 by dartsmart67
Selector Switch was created by dartsmart67
I have tracked down my shift issues to the selector switch but i'm not certain how to remove. Hoping to repair as the new switch is rather expensive. thanks in advance for your help.

ACD Club Member

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.