Skip to main content

Longer Lugs

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
05 Jun 2011 02:34 #20226 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic Longer bolts
You are so right Josh. I had my brain turned off. My Cord is setup for Richardson joints and Wohlwend hubs and wheels using bolts and nuts. I had to get longer bolts from Bill Richardson when I got Don's wheels.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
04 Jun 2011 14:02 #20224 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Longer Lugs
Tom, I think that Fred need [i:1xs5qt7r]bolts[/i:1xs5qt7r], as used on the original Cord hubs. What you (and I) have are [i:1xs5qt7r]studs[/i:1xs5qt7r].

Fred, I would think that Dorman makes wheel lug bolts in various lengths. Check with them.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
04 Jun 2011 06:14 #20221 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic Longer lug bolts
I got longer ones from Bill Richardson. He has an add in the newsletter for his dad's U-joint conversion. I had to get longer ones for Don Wohlwend's wheels which I have on my Westchester.

• Red Fred
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
01 Jun 2011 03:30 #20205 by Red Fred
Longer Lugs was created by Red Fred
Many years ago, when re-doing my car, I had my heavy duty wheels "plated". By "plated", I mean having a plate machined to match the inside face of the bolt pattern, thus stiffening, or re-enforcing the center section of the wheel. My buddy Eric Vaughn of Monrovia, who restored vintage Halibrand mag wheels for a living suggested this "fix", as he had performed this task on Hot Rodder Extrodinaire,Don Montgomery's personal Cord many moons ago. The plates are welded to the center sections.
The job was fantastic, and Eric included a special spacer ring for each wheel to assure it being centered on the hub. However, I now realize that I would be more comfortable with some longer lug bolts, since my wheels are about a 1/4 thicker in the center section now.
Would anyone have an idea where to obtain some longer lug bolts for our cars?

Many Thanks, RF.

Life Member