Skip to main content

Cords in The L.A. Area

More
22 May 2011 21:08 #20129 by curt
Replied by curt on topic Cords in The L.A. Area
Great-- Look forward to seeing you in Oct.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
22 May 2011 19:29 #20128 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Cords in The L.A. Area
Thanks for your responce. I was a member many years ago and about 2 months back I joined up again. I have known Henry Portz for around 35 years and have bought several items from him. I will be attending the west coast meet so I can talk to other members. I just felt there might be some Cords near me in the L.A. area that I could look at for information.. I watch Ebay everyday for things I want for my car. Nothing I really need but just things that are better than what I have. I have many spare parts now collected over many years. This site seems kinda slow compared to a Ford diesel truck site I belong to. Its called Oilburners.Net. My work there was featured in the Diesel Power Magazine back in May 2008. I have done extensive machining work trying to get the most mileage out of these older idi engines from 1983 to 1994. I am very well known all over the US and Canada for my help and work. My Cord has been a passion ever since I first saw it in 1961 when my father bought it. I will finish it someday. Cord Parts and Stan have been very helpful over the years with parts and information.

More
22 May 2011 18:22 #20127 by curt
Replied by curt on topic Cords in The L.A. Area
If you haven't already done so, you should join the club! A great way to get the info you need, other than our newsletter, is to attend the meets. There you can meet and talk with fellow owners who are all more than willing to help. In addition to the annual reunion in Auburn, IN there are also regional meets. The West Coast Meet is in October just up the road from you in Santa Maria.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
21 May 2011 18:19 #20116 by 1748 S
Cords in The L.A. Area was created by 1748 S
I would like to see any Cord in the L.A. area. I have a 1937 beverly sedan and am interested in looking at original head lites and cowl vents. I can trace the ownership of this car back to 1949 with letters from Auburn Cord Duesenberg Co. A Mr. W.T. Hinschlarger was the Service Sales Manager at the time. Then in 1950 I have letters from E.C. Bartels Director of Sales. The owners of my Cord during these years from 1949 to 1952 were Mr. W.B. Halmin of Ontairo Ca. and then Mr. Donald E. Finnicum of Upland Ca.. My father bought the car from Mr. Finnicum in Oct. 1961 for $300.00 with two complete engines and front ends drive lines. The spare engine has a reciete stating the cost was $10.00. What a deal.. Someday I will scan these letters to this site so all can enjoy whats being talked about and the prices way back then from the factory. Hopefully someone can help me along the way. Seeing these cars is always an impressive site. I did have a chance to see an armchair beverly around 1976 in Costa Mesa. It was undergoing a restoration at the time. I had thought we had an armchair till I actually saw one.