• Red Fred
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
07 Jun 2011 04:34 #20251 by Red Fred
Replied by Red Fred on topic boiling fuel
Thanks All,
Sounds like some re-plumbing is in order. Makes sense though. I was surprised at how hot the carb got also. Gail Shaw runs an insulator block to isolate his carb from the heat on his driver. Makes me wonder how these poor things ran back in the day when they were totally stock! Having that fuel pump directly over the exhaust scares me also.
I have a bunch of that loom. We use it on the bikes wiring. Oh yeah, we use in the electrical trade also. I'm an electrician, or at least I was 2 years ago before the industry halted. 32 years in the trade, non-stop, then a sudden road block with only a few more years to go. Frustrating.
Thanks for all the tips, RF.

Life Member

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
06 Jun 2011 06:48 #20239 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic boiling fuel
Part of the problem is that you are routing the gasoline thru the old fuel pump. It sits at the hottest point of the engine and is now nothing more than a heat exchanger, taking heat from the manifold and transferring it to the fuel! Let the pump sit there for looks if you wish. But run the actual tubing around it.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

More
06 Jun 2011 05:51 #20238 by curt
Replied by curt on topic boiling fuel
red, As you are in SF, Sacramento vintage Ford in Rancho Cordoba sells the loom.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
06 Jun 2011 02:48 #20234 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic boiling fuel
I think the material Tim is talking about is wireing loom available at most vintage wiring suppliers.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Tim Gilmartin
  • Registered
More
05 Jun 2011 16:00 #20230 by Tim Gilmartin
Replied by Tim Gilmartin on topic hot fuel
Red Fred: My fuel line comes up the middle of the firewall, then over the top right side of the engine to the carb.
Can't remember where i purchased the insulation; seems as tho any good shop or resto store would carry it.
CORDially, Tim.

• Red Fred
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
05 Jun 2011 15:52 #20228 by Red Fred
Replied by Red Fred on topic fuel line insulation
Thanks for this Tim. Would you remember the brand name by chance, or where you found it? Since you by-passed your mechanical fuel pump, did you plumb solely on the left side of the engine?
I'm interested on how top mounted fuel pump cars have their lines routed originally.
It's always something!
Thanks, RF.

Life Member

• Tim Gilmartin
  • Registered
More
06 May 2011 02:12 #20019 by Tim Gilmartin
Replied by Tim Gilmartin on topic fuel
Red Fred: I'm running an electric fuel pump also- exclusively. By-passing the mechanical pump. My electric pump is on the left side of the frame just forward of the fuel tank. I have double insulated the entire fuel line from tank to carburator using the black cloth-like insulation. The thinner insulation that fits snugly to the tubing, and then the fatter over the top of all that. No boiling.

• Red Fred
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
03 May 2011 18:49 #19989 by Red Fred
boiling fuel was created by Red Fred
Another maladie I'm experiencing is bubbling fuel in the top mounted fuel pump bowl. I've gutted this mechanical fuel pump, and only use it as a site glass, as the fuel is pumped through it via an electric pump & regulator.
The regulator is mounted next to the gen on the pass. side, and a steel fuel line runs along side the pass side of the carb, with a loop bent in the line on it's way to the old, stock, gutted pump.
Operating temps seem fine, and low (I have external pipes, but am not super charged), but the fuel is bubbling fiercely in the site glass. Luckily, I have been able to restart the car when it's hot, but it is a chore, compared to when it's cold.
Any ideas out there on keeping the fuel cool?
Thanks, RF.

Life Member