gear grinding

• Red Fred
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
05 Jun 2011 15:59 #20229 by Red Fred
Replied by Red Fred on topic 3rd & 4th shifting
Thanks for the responses. I finally managed to pm EL on this, and look forward to learning more on this.
I did manage to adjust my clutch for further throw, and also my clutch switch for activation closer to the toe-board. I don't get the grind in 3rd & 4th now, and my 1st & reverse malady has subsided miraculously. I've been driving the car every chance I get lately, between rain showers here in the busy San Francisco traffic. It sure is a luxury to drive the car with it's windshields in place, and side & interior mirrors now!
RF.

Life Member

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mike Brady
  • Registered
More
05 May 2011 17:28 #20016 by Mike Brady
Replied by Mike Brady on topic gear grinding
Fred,

The restrictor valves EL is referring to were pictured in the newsletter not too long ago. You might send EL a private message for more information.

Installation is very easy. Once you see a photo of the valves, you will immediately know how to install them.

• Red Fred
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
05 May 2011 16:56 #20014 by Red Fred
Replied by Red Fred on topic restricter?
So where can I review some info on these restricters? Pictures? installation? costs?
Many Thanks, RF.

Life Member

• E L
  • Away
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
03 May 2011 23:57 #19990 by E L
Replied by E L on topic trans
First, let me say that I am NOT expert or an engineer. If you have ever watched the trans shift with the cover removed in the garage you will notice the speed ( and without hesitation) at which the vacuum cylinder moves. Most conventional trans shifting (with a lever on the column or on the floor) never moves this fast. The slower this conventional shifting occurs , the smoother the shift. You have to give the syncro (which is a brake) a chance to do its job. Increasing the break away pressure on the syncro may help but also puts increase load on the fork. You can only change this once the trans is OUT. Therefore I have come up with the idea of slowing down the cylinder by using restrictor valves. It is truly amazing how little vacuum is needed to shift. I am not trying to sell them but I have them available

• Red Fred
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
03 May 2011 18:45 #19988 by Red Fred
gear grinding was created by Red Fred
Finally able to get back on track with my de-bugging process of my Sedan. She seems to grind into 3rd & 4th upon up-shifting. If I double clutch, with a pause in Neutral, it doesn't grind though. My clutch switch seems to only actuate when the pedal is way down at the floor, so I think I'm OK there. The trans is pretty fresh, with not to many miles on it, although it's been a few years since it was done. I have all new oil in it, at the proper level.
Hopefully it's just an adjustment? Also wondering what the scoop is on these vacume reducers.
Thanks, RF.

Life Member