Skip to main content

Saw two Cord's at the Keeneland Concour today

• Ric Simpson
  • Registered
More
31 Jul 2010 18:01 #17426 by Ric Simpson
Replied by Ric Simpson on topic Keenland Concours
Hi! The green car is indeed my car. My car was originally the colour of green apples. I have seen many Cords that were painted this colour originally, but always repainted something else. I am talking about Cords I studied back in the '50s! When it came time to paint my re-restored phaeton, I wanted an eye catching green. I like the original green,(ganges green?) but also like "pearlessence". As the colour catalogue listed "Pearl Grey", I decided to add the pearlessence to the green. I would estimate I have received about 6000 rave reviews about the colour, and about 6 who dislike it and criticise it muchly. The 6 detractors all own Cords! When asked what colour green his Derham Tourster Duesenberg was many years ago, Dr. Elsner replied loudly and proudly, "Envy Green". The car performed admirably on the 1200 mile run to Keenland and back. It seems to be just as good as it was 40 yrs ago when using it for shopping, dinner drives, and taking people and dogs around Niagara Falls sightseeing. I know I am going to upset more people when I install the Buell Air Horns on the hood, but I think the masses may understand. If you are ever in the area, please drop in! I like visitors, Ric.

Ric Simpson,
2001 Niagara Parkway,
Fort Erie, Ontario,
Canada. L2A 5M4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
19 Jul 2010 17:09 #17359 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic Saw two Cord's at the Keeneland Concour today
It is Ric Simpson's car (the green one). He is a longtime member from Canada who posts here occasionally, and also hosts the KooK (Kanadian owners of Kords) Meet. Following its restoration a few years ago, the car was driven from Canada to Pebble Beach to Auburn. I like flashy cars, so I like the color - probably not what I would have chosen, but it stands out.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• Greg Riley
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
19 Jul 2010 15:56 #17358 by Greg Riley
Replied by Greg Riley on topic Wish I had known!
I wish I had known you were there too. I thought both cars were very beautiful although I was suspicious that the green car wasn't an original color. I was also surprised that such a nicely restored car had such an ill fitting top.
Did you go to the Hangar Bash or on the Sunday tour?
I'll post all of my photos later today and forward the link.
GR

Greg Riley

• danielbiker
  • Registered
More
19 Jul 2010 02:48 #17355 by danielbiker
Replied by danielbiker on topic Saw two Cord's at the Keeneland Concour today
I was over there too.I wish i would know you so we could talk.
The black one is part of the Cofer Colection in Atlanta,Georgia.The coachwork is by Derham but because their arhive burn in a fire there is no documentation to prove it.Regarding the second one i talk to the owner and he said that the unusual color is"controversly original"to quote his word.

• Greg Riley
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
18 Jul 2010 03:02 #17353 by Greg Riley
I saw two unusual Cord's today!

Greg Riley