Skip to main content

Window Felt Replacement

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
12 Jul 2010 21:10 #17323 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic window felt
Here I go for the third time, sorry.
I wasn't satisfied with the info I mentioned above so called Restoration Specialties & Supply. The part I mentioned is not the right one. The one I used is not listed in their catalog (2008) which I have. It wasn't in an earlier one either. What you want they call 10 E channel liner. It is a black fabric about 4" wide. It has three fuzzy welts on it. The center one is wide and the other two are narrow. What I did was cut the narrow ones off and glued them to the exisitng window reveals and the door moldings after removing the old fuzzy stuff from them. I think it looks just like the original and is not hard to do.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SButcher
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
06 Jul 2010 16:20 #17286 by SButcher
Replied by SButcher on topic Window Felt Replacement
Thanks to everybody that chimed in on this Thread !!!

A special thank you to EL for leading me to the "hidden" screws that were causing the initial problem. Sounds like we have a ways to go to complete this portion of our project, but at least we're moving ahead again......

More to come I'm sure !

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
06 Jul 2010 02:14 #17282 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic Door felt
On reading my first note I realized that I wasn't clear on the how I glued the strip of stuff I got from Restoration Specilatist & Supply in Penn. 814-467-5323 ( I goofed on the name it is not Restoration Hardware). I stripped the existing wiskery stuff off and then glued the new stuff on the existing forms. It is listed as M8 96"length in their 2008 catalog.

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
06 Jul 2010 01:32 #17279 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic Door felt
The felt that is glued to the wood I got from Stan. The black felt wiskery type stuff that is attached to the door and window reveal moulding was all pretty shot. I removed it and replaced it with similar stuff I got from Restoration Hardware which is Penn. I just had to glue it on. Hope this. helps.

• Red Fred
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
06 Jul 2010 01:04 #17277 by Red Fred
Replied by Red Fred on topic Window Felt Replacement
Ah, I didn't recognize that strip. My car does not have any upholstry on the doors yet. The flat head screws are hiding under that material. The door frame has dimpled holes to accept the flat head screws.

Rots a Ruck, RF.

Life Member

• E L
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
06 Jul 2010 00:37 #17276 by E L
Replied by E L on topic Window Felt Replacement
Look under the trim strip glued to the door. In your picture the strip has "V" slots cut to turn the radius of the door at the right

• SButcher
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
05 Jul 2010 20:04 #17272 by SButcher
Replied by SButcher on topic Window Felt Replacement
I'd like to thank "Red-Fred" for MAKING MY DAY !!

It is the awkward clips and the fold-over tabs that I am struggling with. It appears to me that I would have a better chance to remove the existing felt without destroying the clips & tabs if I had better access - ie; by removing the wood pieces. Exactly where are the flat head screws attaching the wood strips to the door?

• Red Fred
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
05 Jul 2010 14:20 #17266 by Red Fred
Replied by Red Fred on topic Window Felt Replacement
I found the wooden pieces to be attached with flat head screws to the door. Perhaps the holes may need shimming up with some wooden matches, or the like? This wood serves as receiver for the screws that retain the window frames.
As for the felt, I purchased some stainless ribbed felt from an interior supplier, and formed it around a template I made of the window frame opening. This felt comes in long, straight lengths. I made the template out of 3/4" plywood, then screwed it to a larger piece of plywood.
The felt was fastened with small, flat head screws on the lower portion of the door, but utilizes awkward clips on the upper frame portion of the door. I was able to salvage some of these clips from rusty reminants of other doors, and actually "sew" them onto the felt strips with a fine wire. The top of the window frame portion of the door has fold over taps that are supposed to retain this clips, but I found mine to be useless. Carefull, and tidious drilling, and tiny screws eventually held my felts.
It was a very long, and laborous job, and in the end, it looks like an amature did it. This was a tough task.

Life Member

• SButcher
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
02 Jul 2010 14:32 #17227 by SButcher
Window Felt Replacement was created by SButcher
Gentlemen-

My son and I are in the process of restoring a 1937 Cord 812 Westchester Sedan. We are currently disassembling the vehicle and have run into a problem. The upper portion of each door has a piece of wood securely attached as shown below.

Each strip of wood contains 3 holes with what appear to be thread marks descending into the hole. We have not been able to find a screw reset in the holes.

The proper removal of the outer window felt appears to require the removal of these wood pieces.

What are we missing???

Any and all assistance will be most appreciated!

We look forward to your thoughts. Additionally we would be curious as to a good source for replacement window felt (both sides as well as replacement window track felt).

If the proper way to ask questions such as this is in a different forum please advise me of the correct forum.

Thanks again,

Steve Butcher
ID #2245