Skip to main content

Gano Filter in Cooling System

• vaco
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
30 May 2010 16:37 #16942 by vaco
Replied by vaco on topic Gano Filter in Cooling System
Thanks for the input/thoughts. I know how much debris/dirt can be in a Cord engine. I have cleaned/rinsed my engine two years ago with about 70 gallons of water (routing tap water through all inlets/outlets/drains; and lately a second Cord from a friend of mine (though the overhaul of this engine was not done so long ago, but the radiator and the water pump were not cleaned before the overhauled engine was installed!). [Attached picture shows the "layout" during manifold cleaning; IN on Xs, OUT on Y and LH block drain].
After reading the "Skinned Knuckle" article I thought that (after the cleaning/rinsing) it would make a certain sense to install the "clear plastic" Gano Filter model between the thermostats and the radiator and replace the metal pipes with hoses so that the filter can be easily placed in between and observed (so that you are always aware if the filter/passage is clogged or not). Any thoughts/inputs on that?
Mario

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
30 May 2010 14:58 #16941 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Gano Filter in Cooling System
Dave is correct. Much junk circulates thru the Cord cooling system, especially if has never been filtered. The Gano filters work well but they can clog quickly because of their limited screen area. The Australian Tefba filters, which look strange but have the advantage of being cleanable without draining much coolant, have even more limited area. Some of us use a long cone made of stainless or brass screen wire. They are installed in the tubes leading from the thermostats to the radiator. (Solder up the seam so dirt doesn't sneak thru.) The big end wraps around the lower end of the tube so they can't escape. Still should be cleaned at least once a year. If I were putting them in for the first time I would check them at least every 500 miles for a couple of thousand miles. You will be amazed at what's in there (and isn't in your engine and radiator anymore).

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Visitor
29 May 2010 23:58 #16937 by
Replied by on topic Gano Filter in Cooling System
A word of caution....I put low budget "NOgano" filters in my Cord's upper hoses, (made of copper window screen formed in a cone configuration). The car hadn't run in about 35 years, but it HAD to be there in Auburn in '2002 for the club's 50th! Well, in the parade about 2 blocks from the town square some small boy yelled "hey mister, there's water coming out"! When I aske how much, he said "a lot"! Well, duh, it was those screens, already clogged up. So, don't stick ones in just before going off on a long jaunt. Depending on how cruddy the system is, plan on opening up soon at first to see what is going on in there.

• vaco
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
27 May 2010 12:06 #16905 by vaco
Gano Filter in Cooling System was created by vaco
Hi
Does anybody have any experience with Gano Filter(s) installed in ACD cars? I read about this product, which seems to be around since 25 years, in the May issue of "Skinned Knuckles" (see also this video clip from Jay Leno www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/cli ... n/1204259/ .
Mario