Skip to main content

Short as I posted mar. 28 memo, Startix not working

• stroker
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
04 May 2010 19:49 #16666 by stroker
Gents- First thanks to "Ol Banger" and Jim Obrien for replying to my memo of frustration of Mar. 28. Seems I or one of my helping hands somehow bent over the "keeper" atop one of the regulator solenoids contact, keeping the contact closed. I bent it back open and now no short, and it charges O.K.! Wow.

It never ends-the next day nothing happening when the Startix is energized! I took it off the car, opened it up and using the diagram I have tested the solenoids in turn, which are very robust. Over several days I mused coming to the conclusion the main solenoid wasn't finding a ground. Poking around I noticed touching the secondary solenoid reed on the tungsten contact (buried WAY down inside) suddenly made the circuit, and voila, it works! Using a 3/16" wide piece of 400 sandpaper folded so there are 2 sides I cleaned this tungsten contact, and now the Startix works! How many Strartixes are there in folks' junk boxes all because this little tungsten contact on the reed switch is corroded!

pete rhoads, restoring 810 phaeton 2241 H

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.