Skip to main content

Paul Shaw's Cord, cont.

• Chris Summers
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
11 Mar 2010 13:44 #16085 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic Paul Shaw's Cord, cont.
Hi, Henry,

The two cars are one and the same. Paul Shaw sold the car to Ken Klein in 1977, and Klein sold it to Tom Sparks. I was under the impression Sparks restored the car but I must have been mistaken. Thanks for clarifying and the extra information, it's always appreciated.

I like the car and the story behind it, although I have to admit if I owned it, it would be red again, with a badge bar...it just doesn't seem "right" otherwise.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2010 04:51 #16084 by hportz
Replied by hportz on topic Tom Sparks Phaeton
Chris, I believe you may have the wrong information on the cream yellow Phaeton that Tom Sparks had. Tom may have had Paul Shaw's Phaeton but I know that he had a cream yellow one that had belonged to Ken Klein. I rebuilt the engine #FB2199 & transmission #T-1344 for Ken in 1978/79 & helped him install it in the car. Ken did most of the rest of the restoration himself. Ken lived in Anaheim, Ca at the time. He later built a beautiful house & shop near Sedona, Az. I have two pictures of the car, one with Ken in the driver's seat in Anaheim & another with Ken driving in a St. Patrick's day parade in Sedona & Jane Russell sitting in back on the top lid! Tom Sparks bought later the car from Ken. Unfortunately Ken is no longer with us.
Henry
PS: When Ken had it the interior was cream color.

• Chris Summers
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
11 Mar 2010 02:31 #16083 by Chris Summers
Paul Shaw's Cord, cont. was created by Chris Summers
One of my very favorite Cords is the 810 Phaeton that was owned for many years by Club charter member, the late Paul Shaw of Iowa City, IA. During his ownership the car was frequently seen at meets, painted red with a curved badge bar behind the front bumper.

The car eventually passed into the hands of Tom Sparks of CA, who restored it in Cigarette Cream with a brown interior and side exhaust. Sparks sold the car to Hyman Ltd. which sold it a couple of years ago.

I have several photos of the car from the 1960s when it was red. Does anyone have any photos of it in its current Sparks-restored form?

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.