Skip to main content

Frame assembly and painting

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
04 Dec 2009 03:49 #15228 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Frame assembly and painting
Hi Henry, Do you have that reversed. I thought cad. was originally used and zinc is being used know which is worse and does not hold up? Please correct me if I am wrong.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
04 Dec 2009 03:44 #15227 by mikespeed35
Hi Mike, I am sorry for the mistake. When "forum user" is used under your name in your post that is supposed to mean your not a member. It should have read "club member". It is hard for the site administrator to identify people when they don't use their names.
CORDially MIke

Mike Huffman

More
03 Dec 2009 20:13 #15223 by hportz
Replied by hportz on topic Frame assembly and painting
Both Mikes, I forgot the oil pressure line & the tach & speedo housings. Sorry about that! I believe that most of the fasteners were zinc plated (silver color) a standard way then & now (cad protection is lousey;I know it's used a lot of places). 31631F Henry

• mbishop
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
03 Dec 2009 12:39 #15214 by mbishop
Replied by mbishop on topic Frame assembly and painting
Mike:

I've been a member for 15 years or so and am a native of Auburn (and therefore can't remember the first time I saw a Cord!).

Mike

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
03 Dec 2009 04:46 #15212 by mikespeed35
Hi Mike, If you are serious about doing this car right you should join the Club and come to Auburn a couple times and help judge. Then you will learn what you need to know to restore your Cord. It is easier to do it right the first time than to have to do it over. We would enjoy having you as a new member and Auburn is right next door for youi.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• mbishop
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
02 Dec 2009 23:28 #15209 by mbishop
Replied by mbishop on topic Frame assembly and painting
Henry:

Thanks for your reply. I have tried to consider how the car would have been constructed. It seems logical that some parts would have been bolted on prior to painting. I can tell that some of the nuts and bolts on my car were plated and some weren't, but I have a lot of them that are so badly rusted that I can't tell how they were finished. Are the finish of fasteners considered in judging of cars?

Mike

More
02 Dec 2009 22:15 #15208 by hportz
Replied by hportz on topic front frame
Mike, I doubt that there is anyone alive who can, with authority, answer your question. But as a manufacturing engineer of many years & breifly worked for International Harvester small truck devision, I believe I can give you a logical supposition. Consider the ease of assembly. Put all the stub frame parts together including the suspension arms, lower suspension stops (with rubber out bumpers), front spring & suspension bolt parts (spring could be compressed with a fixture to allow this) . I would leave all the fender braces off as they would be a hazzard on the assembly line & install later. Also install the clutch & brake shaft & lever arms , master cylinder bracket & master cylinder (mask openings), paint black. The brake lines may have been then installed. It is obvious that the bodies were painted the finish color before the stub frame was installed because the stubs that the frame slipps over were body color on any unmolested car. They likely installed the coil, accelerator linkage, main under dash harness & firewall insulator before installing the frame assembly on the body (engine & transmisson assembly would certainly be in the way). You are free to have their own idea, but this is mine. 31631F , Henry

• mbishop
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
02 Dec 2009 00:31 #15199 by mbishop
Frame assembly and painting was created by mbishop
I have a question about the way Cords were originally assembled.
I have disassembled my 37 Beverly from the cowl forward, to the last nut, bolt and lockwasher. Before reassembling it, I'd like to know how the stub frame and the components that attach to it were put together. Was the frame and the parts that bolt to it, such as the fender braces, painted first and then assembled with cadmium plated bolts, or were parts attached and the whole assembly then painted? Were some components attached before painting so that their attaching bolts are painted, and some components attached after painting, with plated bolts? Or, did it vary from car to car and there is no completely correct way to go?
Sorry for the long winded question. I've looked at several photographs and can't come up with a concensus.