Skip to main content

S/c Beverly on Ebay--EIGHT Pipes !?!?!?

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
05 Nov 2009 06:39 #14867 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic S/c Beverly on Ebay--EIGHT Pipes !?!?!?
Tom, Jim Brockman's collection has two photos of this same car with the parking lights below the headlights taken in early 1950's.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Curtis Bartell
  • Registered
More
04 Nov 2009 19:17 #14859 by Curtis Bartell
Replied by Curtis Bartell on topic S/c Beverly on Ebay--EIGHT Pipes !?!?!?
Tom,
Couldn't help noticing that the black sedan in your post has some sort of hood lock on the louver attached to the hood, with what appears to be a key slot on it. My 37' Beverly has a hole in the top louver in the same location. A lock in this position would prevent operating the hood release. I saw this same set-up on the supercharged Cord in the Indianapolis Speedway Museum collection. Do you, or anybody else have any information on these locks as far as originality or aftermarket additions. I tried to order one of these locks fron Stan years ago when I bought my Cord, but for reasons unremembered his locks weren't usable or available. I could easily weld up this hole if this lock is not correct, but would like to keep it if it is. I'm open for suggestions.
Curt

"I've cut it twice and it's still too short."

• sunroofcord
  • Registered
More
04 Nov 2009 17:27 #14858 by sunroofcord
Replied by sunroofcord on topic S/c Beverly on Ebay--EIGHT Pipes !?!?!?
The picture in "Classic Cord Reveals" is indeed the same car. The Phaeton with 8 pipes is the car that the Minnesota Dealer Merrill Madsen Sr. Built for his wife. It was supposed to have been yellow in color. We believe the 4 stack system from Mrs Madsens Phaeton was removed by Glenn Pray from a Phaeton Glenn Junked out in 1956 and is the 4 stack system that is now on Jim Foxes Cabriolet.

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
03 Nov 2009 18:03 #14844 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic eight stacker
There are pictures of what looks like this same Cord in a small publication by James E. Wilson entitled "The Classic Cord Reveals" which I bought in the 1960's. It has the winged hood emblem and round parking light on the front of the fenders. The author was member for years but I don't see his name in the latest Directory. There is also a picture of a white eight stacker phaeton in this booklet along with a front shot of a phaeton with spare tires in the front fenders.

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
01 Nov 2009 01:31 #14820 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic S/c Beverly on Ebay--EIGHT Pipes !?!?!?
Hi Jim,

A fascinating history. Thank you.

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

• sunroofcord
  • Registered
More
31 Oct 2009 18:34 #14816 by sunroofcord
Replied by sunroofcord on topic S/c Beverly on Ebay--EIGHT Pipes !?!?!?
Tom;

I am very familiar with this car and it's history. The 4 stack system has been asked about on this forum before. Please go to this thread to learn more.

forums.phpstack-1081784-3880776.cloudwaysapps.com/phpbb2/viewto ... ight=stack

It was NOT a factory installed item but it would be a shame to remove it as it's part of the cars history. It was designed and built by a Minnesota dealer.

Any one that needs more info on this car and it's history is welcome to email or call me. My info is in the membership directory. I was just out looking at the car this past Monday.

Jim

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
31 Oct 2009 02:00 #14812 by Tom_Parkinson
S/c Beverly on Ebay--EIGHT Pipes !?!?!? was created by Tom_Parkinson
There's a supercharged Beverly sedan listed on Ebay, item 170400155780. It has four external exhausts on each side, for a total of 8.

I have never seen an "8-stacker" before. Would this have been a factory production?

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE