Skip to main content

Cord trunk/tailight question

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
14 Jun 2009 15:55 #13751 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Location of tail lights
I had some images of a '39 Hupmobile (one "p") made by Hupp (2 "p's") Skylark and a '41 Graham Hollywood. I googled and found more. Note that the gray 39 Hupp Skylark's tail lights are in the trunk lid (pure Westchester), and the maroon Hollywood's are to the side of the trunk lid. Some further lookin'-into has informed me that when Graham took over production of the Hupmobile Skylark, the sedan tail lights were relocated to the location outside the trunk lid. Somewhere along the way to Graham-ism the windshield wipers got moved to the cowl rather than above the windshields. Consistency apparently was NOT a high priority in the Hupp and Graham-Paige effort.

Note the conventional trunk handle on the Cream-colored '39 Hupmobile Corsair convertible. This car is claimed to be the only convertible Skylark that Hupp built on their own. But confusing the issue, I note that on the Convertible 39 purportedly-Hupp-built Corsair the tail lights are outside the trunk lid, raising the question of whether or not this car REALLY was Hupp-built as claimed.

At least one convertible Hollywood was built when production was moved to Graham and Graham started building Skylarks and Hollywoods in the same plant.

39 Hupmobile Skylark

39 Hupp-made Skylark-Wish I had this one!

39 Hupp-made Skylark

'39 Hupp-made Hupmobile Corsair Convertible-claimed to be the only one that Hupp made.

Hollywood Graham

-Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AceCollins
  • Registered
More
14 Jun 2009 02:27 #13748 by AceCollins
Replied by AceCollins on topic Cord trunk/tailight question
The Westchester has lights in the truck lid. It is the Beverly that has them in the fenders. So you probably have the right lid. You can see my trunk at this link. www.acecollins.com/Cord/cord810westche-8.html

1934 Auburn 652Y Four-Door Sedan
1936 Cord 810 Westchester

• TJ
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
14 Jun 2009 01:12 #13747 by TJ
Cord trunk/tailight question was created by TJ
I posted question re. '36 Cord Westchester trunk "anomaly" today under " 810/812 cars and parts" (since need parts too). Re. that post: perhaps trunk on car I'm restoring is from a Hollywood Graham (did they use same trunk ?)- except there are lights in the trunk not on fender (per Cord and not Hollywood G.)- guess possible someone notched out for tail lights in a Hollywood G. trunk- if so, they did a pro job, looks "standard"-but then I don't
have another Cord to compare it to. However, I would think that in '36 Cord tail lights would be glass-were they ? Lights I have are plastic-but per some scuffing on lenses and corroded chrome light ring, they've been with car "forever".