Skip to main content

Radio hook up

• Mike Markin
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
01 May 2009 00:51 #13388 by Mike Markin
Replied by Mike Markin on topic Radio hook up
Thanks, Henry. My old cord (pun intended) is in bad shape so I will string new wires.

Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2009 03:37 #13353 by hportz
Replied by hportz on topic permanent magnet speaker hook-up

hportz wrote: Mike, I'll quote from ACD news letter 2003 # 5. All electrodynamic speakers use 3 wires. Standard color code for these wires is yellow for the field coil, green for the voice coil, & black, brown, or bare braid wire for the ground. A permanent magnet speaker only requires the voice coil & ground. To replace your old speaker with a new one, simply tape off & don't use the yellow wire(REMEMBER it is connected directly to your HOT wire, & will make SPARKS & SMOKE if allowed to touch ANYTHING!). Connect the voice coil & ground wire to the new speaker terminals. Dan Schultz & Randy Ema did this article. OK? Henry

The foregoing was not well stated! The best part was that the yellow wire was taped off, that is correct! The other two wires in the cable are to be connected to the new speaker terminals (as Tom & Josh said). The wire braid is the shielding wire for the cable, grounding this may help eliminate interference ? Henry

• Mike Markin
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
29 Apr 2009 01:00 #13344 by Mike Markin
Replied by Mike Markin on topic Radio hook up
Thank you Gentleman. I believe that a ground is not necessary as I think back on my installation on a late model car. I appreciate everyone's help on this project. Look for more questions.

Mike

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
28 Apr 2009 14:15 #13340 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Radio hook up
I don't believe that PM speakers require a ground.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
27 Apr 2009 20:51 #13337 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic radio wiring for speaker
You will have three wires hooked up to your speaker when you are finished. A ground wire, and two wires going to the speaker cone. As Henry says, the yellow wire is taped off.

More
27 Apr 2009 04:16 #13333 by hportz
Replied by hportz on topic Radio hook up
Mike, I'll quote from ACD news letter 2003 # 5. All electrodynamic speakers use 3 wires. Standard color code for these wires is yellow for the field coil, green for the voice coil, & black, brown, or bare braid wire for the ground. A permanent magnet speaker only requires the voice coil & ground. To replace your old speaker with a new one, simply tape off & don't use the yellow wire(REMEMBER it is connected directly to your HOT wire, & will make SPARKS & SMOKE if allowed to touch ANYTHING!). Connect the voice coil & ground wire to the new speaker terminals. Dan Schultz & Randy Ema did this article. OK? Henry

• Mike Markin
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
18 Apr 2009 17:17 #13249 by Mike Markin
Radio hook up was created by Mike Markin
Does any one know how to hook up a Crosley radio to a modern speaker? There are 4 connectors on the old connection cord, one of which is a ground. The other 3 plug into the radio. Modern speakers need only 2 connections. Any one have an idea? Thanks

Mike