812 pistons

• Thomas Wilcock
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
16 Feb 2009 12:12 #12770 by Thomas Wilcock
Replied by Thomas Wilcock on topic 812 pistons
[i:1pfwzgb3]I found that .006 worked best in my 1940 Indian 4 cylinder motorcycle (2-3/4 bore) but I know here we are talking air cooled. Ross recommended .006 probably because of Cord's history of overheating. Tom[/i:1pfwzgb3]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
16 Feb 2009 03:03 #12769 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic 812 pistons
I thought forged required less clearance than cast. But I could be wrong. .006 sounds like a lot of clearance. I use .001 for each inch of bore, but would certainly go by manufacurers recommendations.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Thomas Wilcock
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
15 Feb 2009 12:24 #12763 by Thomas Wilcock
Replied by Thomas Wilcock on topic 812 pistons
They made the pistons with .006 clearance. The skirts are approx 11/16" shorter than stock. I believe forged pistons require more clearance than cast ones. Rattle or not I can hardly wait to hear this thing run. I guess I was not sucessful in posting pictures. Tom

• Visitor
15 Feb 2009 11:38 #12762 by
Replied by on topic pistons
My experience with jahns pistons is the skirt is to short ( compared to the original )with to much wall clearance. so they rattle until they warm up. as where as we do not run these engines at high temperatures????
my 2 cents
K Clark

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
15 Feb 2009 03:39 #12759 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic 812 pistons
Hi Thomas, I am curious as what piston to sidewall clearance they recommended for the pistons?
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Thomas Wilcock
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
14 Feb 2009 12:37 #12750 by Thomas Wilcock
812 pistons was created by Thomas Wilcock
In the past I have had good luck with custom pistons from Ross Racing Pistons form California in my antique motorcycles. I sent them a sample from my 812 Cord. They made me a set of modern forged pistons to fit the bore size I gave them. They are a 3 ring piston with a .875 dia. pin. The cost was around $1000.00 including rings,pins and spiral locks. In case anyone is interested my job # with them is 120829VF. This way you do not have to send them a sample. I will see if I can suceed in posting a picture of the pistons.