• ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
14 Feb 2009 00:18 #12749 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Tires
Radial tires help too.

Diamondback Classics
Coker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
13 Feb 2009 22:04 #12748 by
Replied by on topic Highway Driving
Hi Dennis,

It's a CORD, It's made to run!!! Out on the highway is where the Cord really shines. My Cord loves to run about 75mph on the highway and will do it all day without complaining. I've driven out to Auburn (635 Miles each way) several times as well as numerous trips around the Northeast. Beleive me it's a real pleasure on the highway.

With that being said there are several things you need to check out on your Cord before you start running it down the road at higway speeds. First is the wheels, make sure they aren't cracked. Second is the front wheel hubs, make sure they aren't cracked. When you put these back on make sure the front wheel bearings are tight, the hub nut is TIGHT and the wheel lug bolts are tight. Third, chack over the steering linkage (especislly the center point bolt) and make sure there's no excessive play. Fourth, make sure you have the front spring safety hangers in place (you should have the larger hanger rods).

Cord are prone to wheel shimmy that line to appear at hiway speeds (55 to 63 mph so don't be supprised if it showes up. It takes a bit of work to get everything straightened out so you don't have the shimmy but it's well worth it.

One final word...a long time club member, Paul Fischer, used to live near me. He owned 26 2/3 cords over the years. He never had a Cord that would break 100 mph. One time we carivaned from the Spring meet in Rhode Island, back to Pennsylvania and the only time we had the cars under 75 mph was when we stopped for gas (it was several years before my wife went to another meet with me).

So that's a long answer to say the Cords are great on the highway...so get out and go. The cars were made for driving.

Jim

• Mike Dube
  • Registered
More
13 Feb 2009 03:03 #12744 by Mike Dube
Replied by Mike Dube on topic Highway Driving

auburn653 wrote: Ask Matt Bogart about driving his Cord. He's driven it from New Jersey to Auburn all but 2 years since about 1976. He has no problem keeping up with traffic... in fact, he "drives" it.. often passing folks on his way.

Agreed, most of the Cord owners I know who drive them at all, don't baby them all that much.

Mike
8-100A

• auburn653
  • Registered
More
13 Feb 2009 01:17 #12743 by auburn653
Replied by auburn653 on topic Highway Driving
Ask Matt Bogart about driving his Cord. He's driven it from New Jersey to Auburn all but 2 years since about 1976. He has no problem keeping up with traffic... in fact, he "drives" it.. often passing folks on his way.

• Dennis Jolicoeur
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
13 Feb 2009 00:22 #12740 by Dennis Jolicoeur
Highway Driving was created by Dennis Jolicoeur
Hi everyone, I posted my highway driving question in the wrong Forum, somehow I put it in Cars and Parts. But I did get a few answers anyway. I still have questions about driving on the highway. I much prefer driving on the back roads but sometimes the only way to get someplace is the highway. I have not taken the Cord on a highway as yet, again because I am a little concerned about driving on a highway with a car this old. If I did go on a highway I would stay in the right lane and expect not to exceed 60 miles per hour. Do you all feel that is OK to do?

Dennis Jolicoeur