Skip to main content

Bendix shaft angle

• tractiondk
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
25 Jan 2009 19:37 #12548 by tractiondk
Replied by tractiondk on topic Bendix shaft angle
The tracta joint and the Rzeppa joint was only used in the beginning on the Citroen Traction Avant, but did not last long.
After these failures the Citroen factory asked there normal supplier of cardan joints Spencer Glaezer to come up with a solution, and that was the same solution with 2 cardan joints mounted in pairs, as on the L29.

Torsten
Denmark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• balinwire
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
22 Jan 2009 23:57 #12539 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic Bendix shaft angle
Hi Josh and thanks for the clear answers.
answer #2, "The Cardan in pairs would cancel any oscillation."
Exactly and so obvious, I just overlooked that bit of physic's.
I was not aware or have seen a Tracta joint but that must have been on a French Citron Traction. I also had no idea the Bendix was patented as early as 1925.

quote, "Worry is the darkroom in which negatives are developed."

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
22 Jan 2009 15:20 #12536 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Bendix shaft angle
1. All front wheel drive cars since the mid-1920s have used constant velocity joints --- Tracta, Bendix, Rzeppa. The Bendix joint was patented in 1925.

2. Cardan joints are used in rear drive driveshafts. They are installed in opposite phases. So the oscillations of the joint at the front end are cancelled by those of the one at the rear.

3. The L-29 did exactly this, except that the two joints were right next to each other to make up a single constant velocity joint. One of these pairs was used at each end of the front axles. Cheap, effective but bulky.

4. Spindle lengths in the drawing are just illustrative.

5. The Cord's wide turning radius is an issue of steering geometry, not joint limitation.

There's a full discussion of this in my new book, CORD COMPLETE. See www.cordcomplete.com . (Plug.)

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• balinwire
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
22 Jan 2009 13:24 #12534 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic Bendix shaft angle
Thanks Pete, When this chart compares the Cardan joint there seems to be a 800-1100,, or 300 rpm difference in a 360% rotation at 1000rpm. I am sure this was possible but hard to imagine control driving with that torqe load.
The Bendix was a very new type joint in 1937. It seems so common today. Is the one in the ad a four ball with a center bearing ball joint.
If anyone has a photo or drawing of a Cardan joint to post.
Was the Cardan used in the 1931 Cord?
I did not notice a huge fluctuation in the joint rotation speed in the 1931 Cord I had the pleasure to ride in.
Was the chart an extreme example to show how smooth a Bendix would twist. The Bendix joints in my 812 have performed perfectly with no knocking.
Why are the spindle lengths different lengths in the chart.

quote,
"In mathematics, you don't understand things. You eventually just get used to them."

• Visitor
22 Jan 2009 02:07 #12533 by
Replied by on topic bendix
The bendix joint is a constant velocity joint and maintains 1000(heavy line) whereas the other joint shows a wide fluxuation of speed. Pete

• balinwire
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
22 Jan 2009 00:27 #12532 by balinwire
Bendix shaft angle was created by balinwire
There is a wide turning radius in a Cord 812 due to the Bendix limitations on the shaft angle.
Could someone please help me decypher how this chart is comparing?