Skip to main content

810-812 Front hub

• cbsIII
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
19 Sep 2008 00:31 #11372 by cbsIII
Replied by cbsIII on topic 810-812 Front hub
Ric Admire your heroic trek; Newsletter series this year has good info. on how tight it should be (should require a puller to remove). I've done the hard chrome route a couple times. Want to stay original like you.

"I work for the Auburn Automobile Company. I am not an automobile race car driver although I hold more world speed records than any other man in the world" -Ab Jenkins 1937

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ric Simpson
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
17 Sep 2008 00:12 #11358 by Ric Simpson
810-812 Front hub was created by Ric Simpson
Hi! After completing my 7000 mile test run in August, I pulled the front wheel passenger side and hub to acertain the cause of unusual, and unwanted sounds. The wheel had no play in it until I jacked it off the ground! I don't think 3" of play is within tolerance. In fact if I had a time machine, I would have immediately returned ton some time before when there was no wobble whether the wheel was on the ground or in the air. Further examination showed the wheel bearing to be exactly as new as it was in July. The wheel hub is a very loose fit in the bearing. (I checked this by removing the bearing and dropping it onto the wheel hub. It had the same fit as horshoes do around the pin! Slight exaggeration!) I estimate the outer diameter of the hub part that slides into the bearing to have about .010-.015 clearance. I would like it to be a firm press fit! Now more seriously worded. What should the clearance be? What should be the protrusion of the hub shaft through the bearing be? I would think it shouldn't protrude at all, otherwise you are tightening the hub against the outer u-joint and the hub is not being held tight by the bearing. I don't think you can distort the bearing by squeezing the small diameter center raceway with the hub against the u-joint. I don't remember ever seeing any measurements for this. Anyone have a source. Anyone have a good hub for sale? Ric.

Ric Simpson,
2001 Niagara Parkway,
Fort Erie, Ontario,
Canada. L2A 5M4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.