Skip to main content

HOW TO REMOVE DINGS FROM SS TRIM ON A CORD FENCE

More
22 Jul 2008 02:01 #10754 by Ohio AMX
Replied by Ohio AMX on topic Re: Dinging out SS fence trim

stroker wrote: ...Took them off fence and passed the trim over a blade scredriver pinched vertically in a vice and softly dinged out the dents with a small brass hammer. When I got the surface back up to and maybe a little higher (+/-.003") of the surrounding surface I filed the raised bump where the dent had been, then sanded the area with 400 wet paper, then fine steel wool. It's possible, but takes awhile.

I recently had a piece of stainless trim professionally straightened and polished. It is maybe 3 feet long and 1/2" wide. I can see on the back where the guy picked out the dings, then ground them flat before polishing the front. It looks like chrome now and you can't even tell where the dings were, but it cost me $80 just for this one piece.

Scott Campbell
Medina, OH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
22 Jul 2008 01:39 #10753 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Whew!
Pete, that sounds like an awful lot of work to me! Maybe not, I only have 2 or 3 dings. However, I am kind of lazy.

Some things I do not mind doing, but pulling trim off is something I really do not want to do! Those little clips break easily and handling the flimsy trim can be so awkward.

I am also going to check to see what new SS trim costs.

Maybe if it is expensive enough, I will bite the bullet and undertake the repair.

More
22 Jul 2008 00:32 #10751 by stroker
Replied by stroker on topic Dinging out SS fence trim
Bill- You don't need to buy new trim stock if your trim is whole and not torn. I did seven of my SS fence trim pieces- spent about 3-4 hrs. ea. Took them off fence and passed the trim over a blade scredriver pinched vertically in a vice and softly dinged out the dents with a small brass hammer. When I got the surface back up to and maybe a little higher (+/-.003") of the surrounding surface I filed the raised bump where the dent had been, then sanded the area with 400 wet paper, then fine steel wool. It's possible, but takes awhile.

pete rhoads, restoring 810 phaeton 2241 H

More
21 Jul 2008 13:40 #10749 by Randall
Bill,

Stan Gilliland has new SS trim.

Hemmings has many companies that restore SS.

Randy

Randall

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
20 Jul 2008 18:18 #10746 by Bill Hummel
I have a few dings in my stainless steel trim on my Cord fence.

Is it possible to pop those out? Is it even possible to fix them? Unfortunately, I have a nice ding in the very front of my fence in the stanless steel trim.

It's the first thing I see everytime I walk up to the car. Drives me nuts.