Skip to main content

Gat Tank

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
09 Jul 2008 19:39 #10617 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic gas tank
The gas tank on my Westchester had a bad dent in one corner and was rusty inside. I took it to a radiator shop in Stockton CA. the cleaned it by blasting it and then opened it up. They took the dent out and after closing it up coated the interior with an agent to keep it from rusting. They also painted the exterior. My car is running fine and the gas is clear. I think I paid about $250 two or three years ago.
The process is one you can find at other locations. It is called RenU USA and their phone number is 1- 800-997-3688. Call them and they will give you the name of the closest agent.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dennis Jolicoeur
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
09 Jul 2008 01:14 #10610 by Dennis Jolicoeur
Gat Tank was created by Dennis Jolicoeur
Another question on a gas tank for my Westchester; I sent the tank out to be boiled out and sealed. The shop came back to me and said it wasn't worth it, that it was all rusted out and the baffles were roted away. I picked up the tank today and to me it looks much better than the shop said it was. I probed all around the tank from the out side and could not find any soft sports, it seemed very solid. I looked inside through the sending unit opening and the inside surface just seemed to have a slight surface rust, no heavy build up. What I could see of one of the baffles it was rusted away. The bottom of the tank has a bow to it. I am not sure the tank should be flat across the bottom or be bellied down towards the drain plug. I am thinking of cutting the tank open, replacing the baffles, sand blasting the inside and then welding the tank back together and then sealing the inside. If anyone has any thoughts on this would you please get back to me.

Dennis Jolicoeur

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.