Skip to main content

Parading temperatures

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
06 Jul 2008 02:20 #10587 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Parading temperatures
Is the fan balanced Joel? You don't want a add ventilation hole in your hood!
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2008 14:01 #10584 by Joel
Replied by Joel on topic Parading temperatures
On our '33 Auburn speedster, we attempted to run it in the parade last year. It was hot outside, and after about one hour of idling, just creeping thru the line-up to the begining of the parade, the car got too hot so we dropped out.

What I did this year might also work on a Cord. I took off the small original fan, and mounted the biggest 7 blade fan that I could fit in there onto the original fan hub. I had to drill different holes in the fan to make it fit on the Auburn hub. This big fan really does the job! Even at idle, you can feel air blasting out of the hood lovers. The car never got over 160 degrees thru the whole parade yesterday. :D

Joel Nystrom
1929 Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Coupe
[img

• AceCollins
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
04 Jul 2008 15:40 #10574 by AceCollins
Replied by AceCollins on topic Parading temperatures
I gutted it up and drove it today. Ran about 190 the first half of the parade got up to about 220 the second half, had a new BMW overheat in front of me, slowed things up and the walking facets of the parade got slower and slower as we went, but the old Cord made it through the route and never shot any fluid out of the tube, so must have cooled pretty well. The actual air temperature was about 90 during the run. Don't know that I would want to take it much beyond that, but the old gal did bring a lot of smiles.

1934 Auburn 652Y Four-Door Sedan
1936 Cord 810 Westchester

• AceCollins
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
04 Jul 2008 01:22 #10570 by AceCollins
Parading temperatures was created by AceCollins
I have hesitated to drive our 36 810 in summer parades here in Texas due to concerns about overheating. Tomorrow I will drive our 34 Auburn in our Independence Day Parade instead. The 652Y always runs cool, even when it is in the 100s. So my question is, with very slow moving parades -- meaning lost of walkers and bands -- what is the cut off temperature where it is wise to not use a Cord? By the way, drove my this afternoon very slowly around town with the temperature close to 100 and my new added on guage indicated I was running about 210.

Thanks

Ace Collins

1934 Auburn 652Y Four-Door Sedan
1936 Cord 810 Westchester