Skip to main content

1937 cord 812 s/c black cabriolet top and seat colours

More
02 May 2008 03:54 #9980 by hportz
Replied by hportz on topic 1937 S/C Phaeton , Black
Hi,Brent , It appears that you have Josh's " Cord 810/812 ,The timeless Classic ". Page #124 gives you a number of options dated 12-18-1935 . Also if you get a copy of the 810/812 service bulletins from the ACD Museum ($60) it also has a parts list & engineering changes copy in it. Also you can get a copy of the Dealer Paint & Upholstery book ($20)dated Feb. 1,1937 . In Eng. Chgs. see p22&23 ,p&t 810 sedans & phaetons ,notes 1 thru 4 ,12-14-35 ..-- p35,dated 1-11-37 p&t combs for 1937 Cords all models-open & closed ,see listing for Black. See p36,dated 1-20-37 ,correction on p&t 1-11-37, "top mat'l listed on ivory cab & phae read Bk & should be reg light top mat'l. , when black is used it will be special". Paint & Uph. book ,See comb. 32 & 44 . I also have a copy dated in 1937 of a dealer price list of options similar to one dated 12-18-35, except prices are higher. 31631F Henry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2008 22:34 #9903 by stroker
Replied by stroker on topic black 810 cord phaeton
Gents- My '36 Phaeton was originally black with burgundy interior which I have the original upholstery. I am restoring it in Palm beach Tan with the burgundy interior. Interesting that the dash was burgundy and looked like it was painted after the body was painted in that there was overspray on the back of the instrument cluster. I can imagine they painted the body first and off line painted the dash.

I have a leather sample from inside the front seat back which matches exactly the leather I purchased from gary's Upholstry in Florida. The required 5 hides cost about $1200. If you're interested I'll dig the bill of sale out and email the info to you.

The top I think was redone- looks like it was white but now dirty and torn. The pads look original and are covered with a herringbone tan/black pattern.

Hope this info is of use.

Pete, from under 2241H

pete rhoads, restoring 810 phaeton 2241 H

• dryesandno
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 Apr 2008 21:53 #9902 by dryesandno
Replied by dryesandno on topic 1937 cord 812 convertible coupe black
colleagues

a detailed review of appendix V in Josh Malks book indicates the following:

Color and Upholstery Combinations for 1937

Phaetons and Convertible Coupes

combination number 39

exterior - black
wheels - light gray
instrument board - light gray
garnish mouldings - black
hardware knobs - black
steering wheel - black
steering wheel post - black
remote control unit - black
rugs - black
upholstery - brown leather
top material - tan wexford top cloth

combination 40 for a black open car is exactly the same as above except with Maroon leather upholstery. in fact, all open car colours call for a wexford tan top.

however, for an ivory car there is an asterisk beside the combo number 44 which at the bottom of the page indicates that a black top was available on ivory convertible cars at extra cost. but this appears to apply only to an ivory car.

so if you want to do a black open car "as the car was delivered from the factory", then you have only one option on the top, basically wexford tan, if your authority is josh malks's book. of course if you want to quote as your authority, eric haartz as in my previous post, then i suppose you have both wexford tan and regular tan.

it seems to me that wexford tan is the safest. black does not appear to be a standard factory colour. if you want the car to be judged.

i think wexford tan is the only option unless you have a white car or can somehow prove your top was a special order colour.

brent

pss i notice that the instument board and wheels are supposed to be light gray. i always thought the instrument board was supposed to be the same colour as the upholstery. this appears to be an exception for a black car, where it should be light gray. but i have never seen a cord with a light grey instrument board and wheels. anyone have a picture of such a car? i wonder how it would look.......

• dryesandno
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
17 Apr 2008 02:23 #9892 by dryesandno
This response to the question of possible cord convertible top colours just in from Eric Haartz:

"Based on limited data about the use of particular cloth topping styles on the ACD cars, I am fairly sure that Cord offered two colors in the late 1930's: a monochromatic tan outer cloth on tan inner cloth and a grayish green on whipcord. This latter style is the one sometimes referred to as a "tan" or "khaki", but my eye does not see it this way, neither in this replication nor in period original samples here in my sample book archive."

"Your mention of the Wexford trade name indicated that ACD was obtaining this grayish green on whipcord topping from a competing firm by 1937. Although we (Haartz) supplied an identical material (as well as the tan on tan style) in the earlier 30's, ACD bought theirs from a firm called L. C. Chase Company, based here in Boston, who produced similar cloth top materials and marketed them under Wexford as a trade name."

isn't it great that Haartz is still around to help provide this type of important information.

interesting......no mention of a black outer, tan inner option.......

seems to suggest two options for tan and none for black, not just one for Wexford tan and one for black on a white car as outlined in Josh Malks' book.......

any thoughts or comments???

• dryesandno
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
08 Apr 2008 05:26 #9837 by dryesandno
Fellow Members

I am need of your assistance in a matter of top and seat colour.

I have come to the point where i have to change the top on my 1937 cord 812 s/c cabriolet currently painted black.

Based on reading Josh Malks book and in discussions with Jon Bill at the library, i believe that the only top colour on a black car was "wexford" tan. There is an option for a black top listed, but as i understand it, this was available for a white car only. However in speaking with a couple of other club members, they believe the top could be in black for any paint colour.

First question, do i have a choice between "wexford" tan and black, or is it just tan......

Second question, I believe the underside of the "wexford" tan top is supposed to be a herringbone pattern. but what colour? black? In the case of a black top I understand the underside should be a plain tan colour (ie no herringbone). Would I be correct in these assumptions?

Third question, I believe my options are to have the binding in either top colour or in the same colour as the seats. Correct?

Fourth question. So now i need to know the correct colour of the seats. That would be a burgundy colour or a chocolate brown colour brushed with some black for a black painted car. And the dash would have to match the seat colour right?

Fifth question. Anyone know where i can find the correct "wexford" tan material with the herringbone underneath or the black with the tan (this one is probably easier), or the correct burgundy leather or the correct chocolate brown leather?

Final question. What if i can't find "wexford" tan with herringbone? Can i go with a regular tan top with black underside and still not losing any points in judging. It seems like it might be impossible to find a "wexford" tan top, especially with the correct herringbone underside. Whats a cord owner to do.........

As always, thank you for your help.

Brent