Skip to main content

812 Shifting problems

• vaco
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
12 Feb 2008 10:04 #9505 by vaco
Replied by vaco on topic Shifting Problems: add. question
Thank you very much to all for the hints/infos and I will troubleshoot accordingly. I already got in contact with Vincent Pietracatella (via e-mail) for the booklet.
I have an additional question: I noticed that the wires which go on to the solenoid box can be wiggled at the terminals quite easily (I am wondering how good the electrical contact really is!). It seems that the wire ends are only held in place by a spring loaded pins. Is there no better way to connect these terminals i.e. with screws instead of the spring loaded pins. Or are there other means to make a better/durable contact?

BTW: Henry I found an old invoice from you in the car!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2008 04:12 #9501 by hportz
Replied by hportz on topic Shifting
Mario, The article you are probably thinking of appeared in the 2003 No. 7 newsletter. It tells how to make & use a five light test unit to check out the gearshift switches & wiring. Also if you want to make a semi- permanent installation you can wire it per Fig.1 & use Fig.5 as a go-by. If you do not have this available let me know & I will try to e-mail it to you. I did the mechanical & assembly work on this car in 1977(T466). 31631F, Henry

More
11 Feb 2008 18:12 #9497 by alsancle

• JOEL GIVNER
  • Registered
More
11 Feb 2008 14:41 #9493 by JOEL GIVNER
Replied by JOEL GIVNER on topic 812 Shifting problems
Mario,

Go to Cord 810/812 post from September 29, 2007 from 67Cat. Jim O'Brien's reply has useful information as to why you may not have 1st and Reverse.

JEG

• Pat Leahy
  • Registered
More
11 Feb 2008 13:40 #9492 by Pat Leahy
Replied by Pat Leahy on topic Cord Shifting
A comprehensive booklet on the Cord transmission is available from our Club membership secretaries, Barb and Vincent Pietracatella at 718-982-0549.

Pat Leahy

• vaco
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
11 Feb 2008 13:20 #9491 by vaco
812 Shifting problems was created by vaco
I am starting having problems to shift my Cord 812 (ex Russell Smid's (Iowa) Phaeton) into 1st and R (2,3,4 work fine). Sometimes it works, sometimes only after some trials; however I could not find any typical pattern. I suppose there are some wiring or contact issues.
I think that a troubleshooting aid to find out where the culprit is would be a sort of Test Box with lights, where I could see if the proper "info" arrives at the solenoid box resp. at the interlock switch: has anyone made such a Test Box and is there any info/description on this box (I think I have read about such a box some years ago in the ACD Newsletter). Of course it would be great if this box could remain connected also when driving, so it is clearly visible if all is o.k. Any hint/help is greatly appreciated (I have the wiring diagram from Josh and the solenoid info from Stan).
Regards Mario