Skip to main content

How to get the water pump off an SC engine?

• Visitor
07 Sep 2010 01:28 #17880 by
Works perfectly, 300 mile shakedown, no leaks. Special thanks to Auburn-Cord Parts for one week turnaround. The car now drives like a rocket.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
20 Aug 2010 01:21 #17704 by
Standard Birdcage Phaeton. Required 4" harmonic balancer puller to remove adjustable pully to clear birdcage. Otherwise easy-off job. I'll let you know how it performs when it's back on top.
CS

• oldbanger71
  • Registered
More
19 Aug 2010 14:33 #17699 by oldbanger71
Replied by oldbanger71 on topic How to get the water pump off an SC engine?
@ CS,

Your Cord looks like a birdcage convertible, does it feature a SC- engine with inside exhaust ? Or is it a pheaton / coupe convertible with a standard engine and inside exhaust ?

The more i know, the more i realize that i don't know enough.
812 310 121 S

• Visitor
07 Aug 2010 23:33 #17510 by
Had the laptop on the workbench, success!
Thanks, Henry! (It looks like the same size as a Saab turbocharger...)

• ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
15 Jan 2008 05:44 #9184 by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
Replied by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER on topic WATER PUMP
HEY GUYS,
You need to ask Bruce Earlin what we did to re-move his water pump at the Spring Meet at Rome, New York. What I told him two months earlier while he was doing a dealer rehab on a phaeton with cowl bracing I said you should rebuilt that pump before putting everything back on, his remark was "Don't need to fix something that's not broken". Need I say any more, however we did replace the pump in a parking lot on our Sat tour. Not easy but done. Henry has the process in a nut shell, But try to do this on RT 80 on the way to Auburn hot is not the word but a four letter word would do!

LIFE MEMBER #25 Man of the Year 2011 WHAT EVER WE DO FOR OURSELF DIES WITH US
WHAT EVER WE DO FOR THE WORLD STAYS
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Josh Malks
  • Registered
More
07 Jan 2008 21:34 #9129 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic How to get the water pump off an SC engine?
Actually, in a pinch (like on the road) you can replace the water pump on an un-supercharged sedan without even removing the grille! Lots of skinned knuckles, but it can be done. ('Course, you gotta have a newly-rebuilt Portz pump in the trunk ready to put on!)

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

More
07 Jan 2008 21:26 #9128 by hportz
Replied by hportz on topic How to get the water pump off an SC engine?
Josh, The non S/C sedans are so much EASIER! Basically the difference is just remove the grille & you have so much more room to work. I haven't done one for some time & it may be even easier since there isn't the cowl to frame brace . 31631F Henry

• alsancle
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
07 Jan 2008 18:26 #9126 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic How to get the water pump off an SC engine?
Thank you Henry!

I thought all blown cars had the cage so it shows how little I know.

A.J.

• Josh Malks
  • Registered
More
07 Jan 2008 16:13 #9124 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic How to get the water pump off an SC engine?
Bravo, Henry!

Now with an unblown sedan . . .

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

More
06 Jan 2008 20:32 #9113 by hportz
Replied by hportz on topic How to get the water pump off an SC engine?
The difference is the cowl to frame to radiator brace in almost all convertibles. Since yours is S/C , unless someone has changed it , it would have this. Sedans do not.

Procedure to Remove Water Pump from Supercharged Convertible with Dash to Radiator and Frame Brace Assembly:

1. Drain coolant, prop hood open, disconnect hood prop at bottom, fold, and wire to upper side screen.

2. Remove pin at rear of grille assembly to facilitate removal of three nuts at rear of each lower side screen. Remove remaining nuts and remove side screens.

3. Remove four 1/4-20 screws from each side that hold the grille. Place pads under each side of grille to protect paint on the fenders and slide grille forward about seven inches.

4. Remove the upper radiator tubes and hoses from the thermostat housings to the radiator.

5. Remove lower hose from radiator to pump. Remove the "S" tube and its forward hose as an assembly.

6. Remove the two hoses and water inlet elbows from the water pump to block as assemblies.

7. Remove the cap from the distributor and remove the distributor with its locking clamp as an assembly. It can be replaced without changing the timing if the clamp is tight.

8. Remove bolt holding radiator to frame brace assembly. Place a piece of sheet metal between radiator and nut on back of main shift cylinder. Pull top of radiator forward as much as possible and fasten to front bumper with rope. (IF there are springs on the T-bolts holding the radiator down as there should be , this will work). IF NOT you will have to loosen the radiator.

9. Remove fan assembly. Remove bolts holding water pump to flywheel housing. Loosen water pump drive pulley and belt as much as possible. Raise pump off locating dowels and tilt to rear to free from drive belt. Remove drive pulley. Remove pump from left side of car between wire loom and frame brace assembly.

10. Reverse procedure to install.

31631F Henry

• alsancle
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
06 Jan 2008 15:39 #9108 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic How to get the water pump off an SC engine?
It's a coupe. I didn't realize they were different?

More
06 Jan 2008 03:49 #9099 by hportz
Replied by hportz on topic remove water pump
A.J. It makes a difference if a sedan or convertible; witch? 31631F

• alsancle
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
05 Jan 2008 20:58 #9096 by alsancle
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the water pump from an SC engine without having to disassemble the entire front of the car?

thanks!

A.J.