Skip to main content

Restore or not?

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
30 Nov 2008 04:12 #12002 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Restore or not?
Amen to all that Al said!

Right on !

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Al Hatch
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
28 Dec 2007 20:18 #9015 by Al Hatch
Replied by Al Hatch on topic Restore or not?
Hi Paul,

There?s a lot of debate on the topic of restore or leave as original. Being a club member for 29 years and having both restored and an original Cords I have come to the conclusion that leaving original is more enjoyable in as much as if a little kid comes up with sticky fingers and touches the car it really does not hurt it. I can assure you, that original cars (when parked along fully restored cars) draw more attention then the restored cars. Why? Because you don't see them that often, they are as the factory produced them and as you said, they original only once.

When I was on the Board of Directors, I authored the ground rules for our 'Preservation Class' now referred to as our 'Original Unrestored Class'. First and foremost, the car needs to be mechanically safe for both driver and occupants and with that said, new tires, wiring harnesses, and window glass can be replaced. Brakes obviously can also be replaced along with brake lines in as much as the original brake lines were made of copper. The car must retain a minimum of 75% or its original paint, all chrome must be original with its aged patina, interior to included floor coverings must be original even if worn, trunk carpeting original regardless of condition. Engine compartment and drive train components do not have to be painted and can wear its well earned coat of rust. To keep it eligible for the Original Class, do not paint the engine.

I suppose my comments will open up a can of worms, but keep in mind it is just one person opinion that has gone both ways. I have come to learn, driving the old cars is a helluva lot more fun then working oneself into a heart attack trailering the cars from coast to coast, border to border. This past year, my wife drove our '66 Vette on route '66' and most people thought we were nuts! But guess what, we have the memories and they still are seating home polishing the paint off of their cars (I guess I did not have to say that but what the hell!).

Good luck with your car and we hope to see it in Auburn.

CORDially,

Al Hatch, PNP

• Bill Hummel
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
28 Dec 2007 18:08 #9014 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic PICTURES
First thing to do is take a lot of pictures and post them on this website so we can see what you've got.

• Laresmn
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
28 Dec 2007 14:57 #9012 by Laresmn
Restore or not? was created by Laresmn
Once of my cars is a 1937 Westchester. Its as original as a car can be. Which means it is a bit shabby, rust above the headlight doors and windows you can't see out of. A car is only original once. How far does a guy go? What would you do?

Paul Lares
1937 Cord Westchester
1937 Cord Custom Beverly SC
1937 Cord Phaeton SC